This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

In July of 2015, my mom, sister, aunt and I drove to New York City to film my sister’s episode of Say Yes to the Dress. We went to the bridal store Kleinfeld, where the show is filmed to see the dresses and meet the famous Randy. My sisters best friend sent in an application for my sister as a joke. Three weeks later, she got a call saying she had been selected. The main reason she was chosen was because her husband, my brother-in-law, plays in a very popular Jersey Shore band, Brian Kirk and the Jirks. Those who live down the Jersey Shore understand the popularity of Brian Kirk and the Jirks. The band plays hundreds of weddings a year and my sister wanted an elegant dress that would stand out.

This day was one I will never forget! It was so exciting to be on the set and surrounded by other brides who were selecting their dress for their big day! The first thing we shot on camera was us walking into Kleinfeld. We shot it three times using two different angles and one time with a GoPro! Ironically, one of my sister’s favorite wedding dress designers, Haley Paige was being featured in this episode. Paige was able to help my sister select dresses to try on and because my sister was mainly trying dresses designed by Haley Paige, she was able to tell my sister the history of the design and why her dresses were so special. Throughout our time at Kleinfelds my sister tried on around eight dresses which were all beautiful in their own ways. The group of us decided that we really liked the top of one dress and the bottom of another. This led to Haley designing a custom wedding dress for my sister. Haley was able to combine the top and bottom and create a gorgeous dress for my sister to wear on her special day.

Filming for the show was a very long and exhausting day for my family since we are not used to being on camera. I was mic’d up and interviewed after every single dress my sister walked out in. The entire crew on Say Yes to the Dress, was very nice and if we needed anything like water or a mid-day snack, they provided us with one. It was an experience of a lifetime and now I can say I made it on television.

Jennifer deBeus

Sacred Heart '21

Sacred Heart 2021 Psychology Major Social Work and Criminal Justice Minor
Nina Lauria

Sacred Heart

Nina is a Biology major with a Chemistry minor on the Physician's Assistant track. She has always loved medicine just as much as fashion and blogging. Nina hopes to one day concentrate in Pediatric Oncology and help find a cure for cancer!