This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

One of the most ignored topics concerning women and their role in society is the pressure put upon them to keep up with certain ideals concerning their hair… all hair. The collection of stories Me, My Hair, and I gives a new perspective on hair, based on several women’s experiences within their culture, throughout their life, and whilst craving acceptance.

Me, My Hair, and I by Elizabeth Benedict was one of the most profound and interesting books I have ever read. It is a collection of autobiographies told from women of different races, classes, and cultures in the U.S. These women describe not only their lives, but the lives of their hair. Me, My Hair, and I touches on women’s relationships with their head hair and body hair, some stemming all the way back to their childhood. In most of the stories, women discuss the relationships they had with their mothers growing up, or lack of, and how it impacted their view on their hair. Other women told stories that had a heavier theme of religion, race, or culture and how it made an impact on the state of their hair growing up. Some were forced to straighten, style, or shave their hair while others were forced to not to touch it. With the pressures of finding a partner, looking professional, and feeling beautiful on the backs of these women it was hard to find a hair identity that made them feel confident and fulfilled. 

My favorite thing about this book is how it inspires women to feel more empowered and connected to their hair as a part of themselves. Hair culture affects all women, even those with limited, or no hair at all! Hair has been made out to be such an important aspect of a woman’s femininity and sexuality, so it only makes sense we open up more conversations about it. To talk so openly about something so personal as someone’s hair journey should be commended, and this kind of confidence is needed in order to combat our society’s pressures for beauty. Such a great read and I highly recommend!

Elizabeth Coyne

Sacred Heart '23

Fashion Merchandizing and Marketing Major Lover of all things Pink!
Nina Lauria

Sacred Heart

Nina is a Biology major with a Chemistry minor on the Physician's Assistant track. She has always loved medicine just as much as fashion and blogging. Nina hopes to one day concentrate in Pediatric Oncology and help find a cure for cancer!