This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

The day I was dropped off at college was hard. I was homesick, lonely, and shy… I think anyone who’s gone away for college can relate to this feeling. I wanted so badly to love my new home away from home, but it wasn’t easy in the beginning. 

But I eventually met people that made Sacred Heart feel like home. I started opening myself up to new people and new experiences – I started having the time of my life. None of this would have been possible without the incredible people I’ve met along the way. 

I remember when I first came to Sacred Heart, everyone told me to enjoy it while it lasts, because time will fly… I didn’t believe them. It felt like my time at SHU would last forever… but now it’s quickly coming to an end. With just 32 days left until graduation, I can’t help but feel nostalgic. I am so grateful for my time at Sacred Heart University, but I am even more grateful for the people that have come into my life, especially my best friend. 

So…. 

To my best friend,

Thank you. Thank you for being my backbone, my shoulder to cry on, my number one fan. Thank you for being by my side, through the good and the bad, and making memories with me that will surely last a lifetime. Sara, you were my very first friend at Sacred Heart. You introduced me to so many people and helped me come out of the shell I’d been hiding in for 18 years. 

When we first met at orientation, I was an entirely different person. I was insecure, shy and afraid of making friends, because I didn’t want to get hurt. You have helped me become the person I am today, in more ways than you know… you’ve shown me what friendship really means. 

You’ve supported me in all I have done in the last four years, always pushing me to follow my heart. You’re one of the most supportive and non judgemental people that i’ve ever known… and we both know how difficult that can be to find in a friend. 

Thank you for sticking by my side through it all. Through multiple breakups, the drama we thought ended with highschool, and every other challenge I’ve faced along the way. 

I’ll forever cherish the late nights spent eating McDonalds, our TVD marathons, Starbuck runs, and finding sticky note messages on my bedroom door. 

I’m so proud of you and all you’ve accomplished these past four years. I admire how passionate you are about teaching… and I know you’re going to be an amazing teacher someday. 

So, to my best friend… Thank you for making these last four years better than I could have ever imagined. Our time as undergrads is coming to an end, but I can’t wait to take on grad school together and I can’t wait to see all that the future has in store for us. 

Love, Kaitlin   

Kaitlin Katzenback

Sacred Heart '21

Hey I'm Kaitlin, a senior at Sacred Heart University. I love writing about beauty, food, and of course my time at SHU :)