Style

Last-Minute Halloween Costume Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

My favorite part of “spooky season” has always been coming up with a costume. My favorite ones usually have some reference to pop culture or my favorite movies, and I love the whole aspect of planning them out piece by piece. Needless to say, not everyone has the time or energy to expend on costume planning, and some years, Halloween just sneaks up on us, as it did for me this year. In an effort to ditch cheesy and generic store-bought costumes, I brainstormed ways to emulate great moments in cinema and pop culture using things I already own. Here are some great back-pocket costume options for nights that you might have not planned on that you still want to show up and show out for!

Sandy from Grease

Replicate this cinema classic for Halloween this year in record timing. The base of this outfit is simple: a pair of black jeans (bonus points if they’re leather), a black top and your favorite leather jacket. The rest is all in the details, throw on your favorite red lip and pair it with some tight curls to complete the look. Adding a pair of red pumps to your look would be the cherry on top!

Sporty Spice

Dressing up like my childhood icon for a night? Don’t mind if I do. Find the spiciest active-wear you have laying around, preferably some Adidas pants and a tight and bright top. Next add some of your favorite throwback accessories, your best pair of dad sneakers, then slam your body down and wind it all around!

Pulp Fiction

If you have a pair of black paints and a white button down, then you might as well call yourself Mia Wallace. Pair the two with a black lace bustier or undershirt of any kind, and complete the look with a dot of fake blood (or lipstick) under the nose and on the chest and you’re all set to swing dance the night away!

Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears denim-on-denim look

Gather all the denim pieces in your home and I guarantee you’re on track to recreate this iconic moment in pop culture (and fashion don’ts). For the Britneys out there, pair any denim top, such as a chambray shirt with a denim skirt and pair with your glitziest accessories (bonus points for chokers and chain belts). Your SO can go as Justin by throwing on a full Canadian tuxedo complete with his go-to denim jeans, a denim jacket and the biggest pair of shades in your house to top it off.

Mean Girls Mama

Last but certainly not least, Regina George’s infamous mother, because there’s no better excuse to hold a drink in your hand all night. For this look, brush the dust off of your velour tracksuit that (I hope) you still have hiding in your closet. Pair your tracker with a stuffed pup, a video camera or just a cocktail and you’re ready for the coziest, funniest Halloween yet!

Shannon Sweeney

Sacred Heart

Nina Lauria

Sacred Heart

Nina is a Biology major with a Chemistry minor on the Physician's Assistant track. She has always loved medicine just as much as fashion and blogging. Nina hopes to one day concentrate in Pediatric Oncology and help find a cure for cancer!