This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

As a college student, it can be hard to juggle everything. From schoolwork, to clubs and activities, to making sure you drink enough water, go to the gym, etc. It can be ROUGH, and students rarely have time to add a full-time job to the mix of it all, which is why many college kids choose to babysit. 

After babysitting for the past year, I have learned so much not only about myself, but from the children I babysit. 

Here are some ways it has impacted my college experience.

1. Babysitting gives you time to let loose with some kiddos and forget your hectic schedule 

During the week, I’m always in maximum overdrive trying to complete my assignments, study for tests, and participate in all of my extracurriculars. It can be really stressful sometimes, but hanging out with the three kids I babysit gives me time to relax, and they remind me to not take life too seriously.

2. …they make it fun to be a human punching bag (lol) 

Babysitting a bunch of children under 10 is so much fun, but be prepared to wrestle around and act like you’re in the family already! They treat me as an older sister and it makes me feel so loved. So, even though they may nag you and play around, they are doing it out of love!

3. They accept you as you are, and love unconditionally 

The best thing about babysitting is seeing for yourself how innocent children can really be.

As a babysitter, you are there to help them with homework, ask them about their day, and offer them support. They become like family, and they really can show you how to accept someone for who they are, and to love them despite their flaws. I have formed such a strong bond with the family I babysit for, and it makes the job worthwhile. 

Babysitting is a job I would recommend to any college student who is looking for a low-maintenance job while also doing something they enjoy.  Babysitting is something that comes so naturally to me, and I would never regret my decision for the world. 

Nina Lauria

Sacred Heart

Nina is a Biology major with a Chemistry minor on the Physician's Assistant track. She has always loved medicine just as much as fashion and blogging. Nina hopes to one day concentrate in Pediatric Oncology and help find a cure for cancer!
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.