Sunday, March 27, 2022 will be the 94th Academy Awards, also known as the Oscars, and I could not be more excited. I know a lot of people do not care much for this awards show, as it has in the past been called unfair and favors the white men nominated. However, I see the Oscars as a celebration of film and a way to appreciate the amount of work and craft put into making a feature length film that so many people get to watch. The nominations this year are diverse and competitive, as everyone involved is incredibly talented. I made a goal for myself to watch as many of the nominated films as possible to be able to fully appreciate the lucky people who win the awards as well as route for my favorites. 

All of the films nominated are so different from each other. Some are musicals, some have comedy, drama, violence, love stories, but all are beautiful in their own ways. I fully enjoyed taking the time to watch the group of films in the running for the title of best picture. I learned a lot from those stories and found myself extremely impressed by the way everything from set design to acting to cinematography came together to create a masterpiece. Some films I watched found myself adding to my list of all-time favorites, such as Tick-Tick Boom and West Side Story. 

I am very excited to see my favorite actors, actresses, crew members, and directors gather in one place together to celebrate the hard work they put into making films. I am eager to see the outfit choices and hear the speeches from some of the people I look up to in life. I will be rooting for my favorite actors and actresses and hoping that a lot of women get the recognition they deserve. 

Side note, Andrew Garfield if you’re reading this I am rooting for you and I love you.

Ally Peto

Sacred Heart '23

Hey I'm Ally! I'm a communications major from MA and I love watching movies and eating pancakes :)