I Modeled for Seventeen Magazine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Ever since I was a little girl, I always dreamt of being a model.  When I was about 7 years old, I was obsessed with watching America’s Next Top Model and swore that one day, I would be like those girls I saw on TV.  After expressing this interest to my parents, I went to casting calls, did photoshoots, and was even an extra in a movie!  Then, at age 13, I had an agent tell me that if I didn’t grow to be at least 5’9″ and slim down to be a size 00, my dreams of modeling could never be pursued.  Even if I could somehow slim down to be a 00, I couldn’t make myself grow another 7 inches.  I was devastated, but knew there was nothing I could do.

Now I am 20 years old, and I recently had the chance to model for Seventeen Magazine.  I have always loved reading Seventeen Magzaine and constantly share their articles on Facebook, so this was an exciting opportunity for me.  I went to their Manhattan office and was greeted by the editor in charge of the shoot – Kelsey Stiegman.  I’d seen plenty of her articles before so I was excited to see her creativity in person.  She handed me my outfit for the shoot, a beautiful plum colored wrap dress by Asos, and once I was changed it was straight to business!

Two hair stylists went to work on the baylage mane, combing each layer and doing whatever it is that hair stylists do to make sure each strand of hair perfectly falls into place.  Since this was a hair shoot, each style was elaborate.  Mine in particular was a fishtail braid with a ~twist~ and had a gorgeous tiered choker draped around it.  The make up artist went to work painting my face, giving me a camera-ready glow.  I couldn’t help but feel like a real model! 

Then, it was show time! I sat in front of the backdrop, offering up my best (waist-up) poses as the photographer snapped away. The shoot itself only lasted five or ten minutes before the editor saw enough pictures that she loved! I even got to view some of them, and needless to say, they were stunning.

This whole experience reawakened all my dreams of modeling; I had forgotten how much I loved it.  I can only hope that more amazing opportunities like these will come my way!  My Instagram page is filled with pictures I have from other photoshoots, often done with a family friend, and have been receiving lots of attention because of them!  Companies have started to take interest in me as an influencer, and more photographers are reaching out to shoot with me.  While I may never land the cover of Vogue, I am doing what I love!

To support my endeavors, check out my Instagram page, @annereboa!

View the Seventeen Magazine article here: http://www.seventeen.com/beauty/hair/a44041/how-to-wear-choker-in-your-hair/

avid lover of coffee, pups, green tea, and anything that sparkles. @annereboa on instagram
Laura Lampert

Sacred Heart

Laura is a Communications Studies major with a concentration in Digital Marketing/PR.  Campus Correspondent at Sacred Heart, overly-involved, and always five minutes late with an iced coffee.