How-To: Win Roommate of the Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Ahhh it’s time for another break. Doesn’t it seem to have come just in time? It always turns out that break time rolls around just when everybody in the suite is starting to jump down each other’s throats.  Everybody is overwhelmed with school work, so if any added stress arises it is more than likely the claws will come out. Who will be the first person your stressed roommate will take her anger out on? YOU. What if there was a way to handle these pre-break outbursts, or what if there was a way to avoid them all-together? Here are some tips that will definitely win you roommate of the year award.

1.      Be Mindful That Everyone Has A Different Schedule: Even though you may have no homework and no studying to do, your roommate could be swamped. If you decide to go out, make sure to come back QUIETLY. On the flipside, if you have a ton of work to get done and your roomie wants to go to sleep early, do your work in the common room or in the library. A light shining in her eyes and the sound of a keyboard typing away all night will not make her happy.

2.      Respect Her Belongings: Living with a group of girls is great. You get to reap the benefits of having seven closets: MORE OPTIONS. However, sharing means respecting your roomies’ clothes. Always ask permission before borrowing something and, after wearing something that is not yours, offer to wash it. If you respect your roommates’ belongings, they will be more likely to let you borrow from their closet whenever.

3.      Do your share: Nothing to do? Great. Wash a few dishes or tidy up the suite. Nobody likes to live in a pig-pen, but, more often than not, doing chores gets put on the back burner when we have other commitments going on. Your roommates will greatly appreciate it if you lend a hand when they don’t have the time. Overall, TAKE TURNS. Don’t let one roommate do all the work. Divide the work-load between the group of you– it will make for fewer altercations in the future!!

4.      Communicate: Have a problem with your roommate? TELL THEM. Trust me–speaking your mind and settling an issue sooner rather than later will relieve any tension going on between the two of you. If you don’t say anything, the issue will persist until one of you snaps. To prevent a future blowout, just say what’s on your mind!!!

5.      Be Supportive: If your roomie has a difficult test coming up or is under a lot of pressure with deadlines, be the support system she needs! Simple gestures like grabbing a coffee for her on your way back from class or leaving her a positive note before her big exam will be appreciated more than you know.

6.      Stay Positive: No one likes a Negative Nancy. Don’t throw yourself a pity party every day of the week and expect to get sympathy. Everybody has their own shit going on– you aren’t the only one. Constant complaining does get annoying.

7.      HAVE FUN: After a stressful week of classes, encourage your roomie to treat herself to a night out. Everybody needs a break once in a while. A night of fun with friends may be all your roomie needs to relax a bit. She will be glad you convinced her! 

Colleen O'Melia

Sacred Heart

Colleen O'Melia is a senior at Sacred Heart University. She is an English major with a concentration in Writing. Aside from being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Sacred Heart, she is President of Sacred Heart's Education Club, volunteers at a local schools, and mentors young students.
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.