How to Actually Stick to Your New Year’s Resolutions in 2023

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

New year new me is always the motto going into a new and fresh year, but in 2023 we are working on being the same person but a better version. The beginning of a new year is the perfect time to turn a new page, change bad habits and establish new routines that help to improve yourself. Here are some ways to actually stick with some classic New Year’s resolutions: 

Working out 

○ Try new workout classes, signing up for classes holds you accountable to show up, some of my personal favorite classes to take are, spin classes, hot yoga, and pilates classes. 

○ Get together a workout group, working out is way better with friends, encourage your friends to join you in bettering yourself and empowering a healthy lifestyle.

Eating healthier 

○ Eating healthy in college is one of the biggest struggles we all deal with, sticking to a meal prepping plan is one way to keep your grocery bill small, but also demolishes the worry of finding what to eat, especially after a long day of classes.

Saving money 

○ As young adults, there is always something to be saving up for like spring break plans, and planning for after graduation can get stressful, keeping your winter job money in a safe place where you aren’t tempted to spend it. 

○ Setting aside money weekly to save up for the big trip, or graduation plans will help you budget your money, and understand the importance of thinking in the long run and saving your hard earned cash.

Staying off electronics 

○ Spending time on your phone is one of the biggest time wasters. It’s hard to stay off the phone and social media especially when it’s many people’s main source of communication, setting time limits on specific platforms is one way to limit yourself from your phone usage 

○ My personal goal for myself is to cut my screen time in half, I plan on doing this by limiting to 30 min to each social media platform per day. 

We make resolutions to work on ourselves, and it almost seems like a yearly ritual, the difference between success and failure is being able to choose the right goal and sticking to the process. Always remember to be kind to yourself and encourage and celebrate the small victories, it’s not all about the destination, the journey that you take is what will help you grow stronger.

Kate Lyons

Sacred Heart '24

I'm Kate, I am a fashion marketing and merchandising major with a minor in digital marketing, I am also the new member director of my sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, Woman in business Network, and fashion club.