Life > Experiences

How To Be a Good Roommate: My Top Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.
  1. Be aware of each others schedules: Be respectful of each others time. Days and time could alternate so you should be aware of what time you both will be getting up everyday. This should help you to not be too loud when you wake up or when you’re entering or leaving the room. Even just respecting alone-time (for example: if one asks for the room to take a nap or just relax), don’t be too loud and be courteous.

2. Set boundaries: This is probably the most important tip I could give to anyone that’s a roommate because you want to make sure you have rules for each other. This will include whether or not guests are allowed, what items are shareable, what time should the lights go off, or even how loud the tv should be up to (if you have a tv). You want to make sure you have these set so that you are aware of what belongs to the both of you and what is acceptable and what isn’t. 

3. Tidy side: Always make sure your side of the room is clean. Even when times get a little crazy, try your best to keep your side somewhat organized. If you really can’t, just let your roommate know that you don’t have as much time to be organized so that’s why it might be a bit chaotic on your side.

4. Confronting big problems: Whenever you have problems even small ones, be honest with each other, but in a respectful way. If anything is bothering one of you, speak up and try to sit down and come up with some kind of agreement.

5. Be reasonable: This is specifically aimed toward guests in the room. Allow each other some flexibility on having each other’s friends in the room. Be aware of what times work for one another so that you’re not overstepping study or sleeping times. 

Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.