Healthy Habits for Busy College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Being a college student is basically a full-time job. It’s not always easy trying to balance your classes with work, studying, social life, and of course your health. A lot of students forget how important it is to maintain good health; it can affect your whole college experience. There are a couple healthy habits that a college student will benefit from during their four years.

1. Get Sleep

For some reason college students think they are invincible when it comes to sleep. We aren’t! Typical students need at least 7 hours of sleep a night. This doesn’t mean 4 hours of sleep on Wednesday and then 10 hours of sleep on Saturday. It’s best to be consistent with your sleeping patterns, try to get into a routine! You’ll find yourself more aware and focused during the day.

2. Make an Exercise Routine

Unless you’re playing a sport at school, there’s no designated time when you’re told to work out. You don’t have to create a full-blown workout routine everyday (unless you’re into that), but it’s important to do some form of exercising at least three times a week. Not only will this keep your body in shape, but it will also make you a happier student. Working out produces endorphins that ultimately make you happier throughout the day. Who doesn’t want to be happier?

3. Pay Attention to What You’re Eating

It is so easy to grab a quesadilla at Linda’s or indulge in the pizza buffet at 63’s, but the easy options are not the best idea for every meal. There’s an effort that comes along with eating healthy, but it always pays off. I love using the salad bar at Sacred Heart’s dining hall, as well as getting green smoothies with sushi at Linda’s. You’ll notice a huge different in your energy, skin, and mood when you focus on eating healthier.

4. Be Resourceful with Your Phone

There’s no question that a college student would be lost without their phone. We’re all guilty with getting sucked into social media for longer than we should. There should be time every day where you take a break from your screen (this includes while you’re in class), but there are some great healthy resources that come along with having a smart phone. There are so many apps that promote a health, such as the Fitbit app, personal training, healthy food recipes, and so many mental health apps. A lot of these apps have helped students stay on track with their health. Downloading a news app is also a good idea for students; it’s so important to stay up to date with what’s going on in the world outside of school.

Laura Lampert

Sacred Heart

Laura is a Communications Studies major with a concentration in Digital Marketing/PR.  Campus Correspondent at Sacred Heart, overly-involved, and always five minutes late with an iced coffee.