Style

Forget Buying New Jeans: DIY them!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Funky jeans are so in right now, and I’m all for it. They are a staple piece to have in your closet, and seem to make any outfit more exciting. 

Unfortunately, my bank account isn’t as excited about this trend. Luckily for me, I knew I could recreate these denim trends with jeans I already own.

Here’s some inspiration on how to revamp the old jeans you haven’t touched all year.

1. Frayed Edge

These Jeans are everywhere in stores but can just as easily be acheived at home. Simply draw a line a few inches from the bottom seam of your pants, then cut one-centimeter strips vertically from the bottom to the line you just created. After this is done, all that’s left to do is pull on these strips with tweezers until you have achieved your desired, frayed look!

2. Patched Up

Add a personalized twist to any old denim jacket with fun Iron-on patches. This jacket will be a statement piece to any outfit. Whether you throw it on over sweats before class, or wear it out, it will stand out. Try Etsy for a huge range of unique, and inexpensive patches.

3. Striped Edge

An accent of color goes a long way in changing the entire look of your denim. Try this no-sew way to spice up the side of your jeans. Choose a ribbon color that matches your style, and pick up heat bond iron-on adhesive tape from your craft store.

Iron the two materials together, along the seam of your pants, and then you’ll have a completely revamped look. This DIY will look just like jeans you would find at Free People, (but you made them!)

4. Personalized Paint 

If you are feeling crafty, paint designs right on your denim using fabric paint. Pinterest has tons of inspiration for what to paint; from stars to little flowers.

5. Tied Up

If all else fails and crafting isn’t your thing, accessorizing is your friend. Throw a silky scarf through the belt loops, to create a much more chic, comfortable alternative to a belt! These scarves will turn a boring pair of jeans into an on-trend look.

Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.