The Dos and Don’ts of Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

The countdown to spring break begins as early as the trip is booked.  College students spend the months leading up to Spring Break preparing.  Whether we are buying hot new bathing suits, new shorts and wedges, working our asses off at the gym and dieting, or creating iPhone countdowns, it is practically all that is on our mind.  It’s the most exciting time of the year! However, being this excited, it’s very easy to get carried away.  Here are some important dos and don’ts of your much-needed, well-deserved trip. 

DO…

• Be mindful of drinking on the beach.  The hot sun can easily cause you dehydration.
  • Keep tabs on your friends.  You don’t want to lose them in the crowd of other college spring breakers, and you certainly do not want to be the one left by yourself.
  • Remember your headphones for the beach.  You don’t want to be that one friend who tries to talk to everybody while the rest of your friends are in their own zone listening to music.
  • Reapply sunscreen throughout the day–it washes off easily in the ocean and the pool. Although it may be easy to forget this step in the midst of your fun…there is nothing like an intense sunburn to ruin the remainder of your trip.
  • Participate in the various games and activities that the resort organizes.  Not only will you impress the people around you, but you also might win a prize or two!
  • Make friends from other schools.  You never know who will know about the best club to go to that night.
  • Experience the swim-up bar.  Who doesn’t want to sip a drink while sitting in the pool?
  • Wear your hair naturally at night.  Natural hair always looks better with a glow on your skin, and saves time too!
  • Sign up for the Booze Cruise that the resort usually offers.  Great way to meet people and slide into the ocean on the boats water slide!

DON’T…

• Opt out of wearing sunscreen on the first day.  Your skin is not used to the UV rays so you will get burnt and won’t be able to sit in the sun for the rest of the vacation.
  • Take obnoxious photos every second of the trip.  Of course you’ll want memories, but asking someone to take a picture of you too often will get annoying.
  • Get so drunk from day drinking that you fall asleep before being able to go out that night.
  • Get arrested. Although being on vacation with your friends makes you feel like a badass, don’t do anything TOO bad that causes you to have a run-in with police from another country.
  • Forget that there are not only fellow college spring breakers on your trip.  There could be a nice family staying next door to you with kids who do not want to hear you sipping and screaming. 

Keep these dos and don’ts in mind while on your trip, but overall HAVE FUN!

Leah Capobianco

Sacred Heart

Sophomore at Sacred Heart University Interests: fashion, watching football, writing
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.