This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Seated 12 feet apart on Wednesday October 7, 2020, the only thing standing in between Kamala Harris and Mike Pence at their debate was plexiglass. The two Vice Presidential nominees met in Salt Lake City, Utah for one of the most intense debates.  In a typical election season, the Vice Presidential debate is not as highly acknowledged as it was this year but due to the age of the Presidential nominees, (Biden will be 78 by Inauguration day, and Trump will be 74) more light was shed on them as extra emphasis will be placed on the second in command. This debate is also pivotal as it marks a historical moment, as Harris became the first Black and South Asian woman to participate in a general election debate. 

Photo by Gage Skidmore distributed under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license
    Unlike the presidential debate, Harris and Pence were more civil; nevertheless, there were many heated moments.  The night was spent in typical debate fashion with Vice President Pence defending Trump and attacking Biden and Senator Harris defending Biden and grilling Pence about Trump.  Harris offered scathing criticism about the White House’s handling of the Coronavirus and many more starring moments. On the other hand, Pence had essentially delivered all the points that his campaign wanted out there.  Both Pence and Harris however were victims of evading the question for controversial topics.  Senator Harris had a rather eloquent answer, but not in terms of the question asked.  She and Biden in the presidential debate evaded the question of packing the courts.  Pence on the other hand, had many instances of not answering the question.  Perhaps the most notable example from the evening was when climate change came up.  He said that the “climate is changing” but we need to look for a cause.  This is not the issue as the cause of climate change has been known for some time, and has been an especially hot topic since his running mate was first elected.  

Kamala Harris speaking at the 2019 Iowa Democrats Hall of Fame Celebration
Photo by Lorie Shaull from Flickr
This debate most likely did not change the polls, in terms of boosting Trump or Biden, but I do think it gave the American people a glimpse of their second in command. Given the age of their running mates, the Vice-Presidential candidates had a lot to prove, that they were worthy to take on the role of the President if something happened.   

Colleen Shaffer

Sacred Heart '22

My name is Colleen Shaffer, and I’m an aspiring Journalist focusing in political science!! My dream job is to be able to write about what going on in the world while being able to be in those countries! I love writing, and I hope you enjoy reading my articles as much I love writing them!
Sacred Heart student from Mass, sharing my thoughts and interests with others on Her Campus :)