Wellness > Mental Health

A How-To College Guide on Defeating Seasonal Depression:

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

If you are anything like me – spring semester can be a force and an all time struggle. Unlike fall semester where we have months to prepare underneath the summer sun surrounded by loved ones and limited resposibilities; spring semester is sprung upon us rapidly after an overwhelming holiday season and high expectations regarding new year resolutions. As students – we can become unmotivated and burnt out as we dream of summer days in the midst of snow storms, long, dark nights, as well as constant responsibility inflicted upon us by professors and extracurriculars.  If you resonate with any of this, I completely understand and have your back! Let me walk you through my top three ways of adjusting to a successful spring semester while experiencing the highs and lows of mental health. 

1. Prioritize a morning routine:

For me at least, mornings bring me a sense of peace and self exploration as I tend to have afternoon classes-into the night that take away from myself care time. Due to the limited daylight the winter offers us, it may be helpful for us as students to schedule time before classes to exercise, journal, or stretch! How we spend our mornings seriously dictate the rest of our day and bring a force of positive energy and motivation to our daily routine. I am someone who values exercising and eating well-balanced meals, so once I wake up and immidently nourish my body, I feel a sense of accomplishment before even starting the countless tasks I must complete. Even if you are nothing like me and can’t stand mornings – it helps to complete small, easy tasks like making your bed or opening your blinds to relish in the good vibrations.

2. Dress it up:

So this has become more apparent this year, but dressing up (almost) every day seriously brings me a sense of “girl-boss energy” and accomplishment before I start my day. Putting energy into a cute and trendy outfit while exploring the endless possibilities of winter style, contributes to me feeling confident and ready for what the day beholds. Even if I don’t feel 100% put together, dressing up and sticking to a routine of putting on actual clothes that aren’t sweatpants/sweatshirts, makes me feel self-assured and convinced of my capabilities,  inspiring me to seize the little day I do have. You simply can’t get enough of sweater vests, jeans, and fuzzy, winter boots – and the compliments you’ll receive will make you feel beautiful and admired by peers. 

3. Phone a friend:

Because I am from Rhode Island and if you ask my hometown friends, there is nothing to do there in the winters (unless you ski or snowboard).. I tend to become more introverted/introspective amid the winter months because I am used to being sluggish and not having super excitable plans. However, at college, no matter the season, there is always something to put time and energy into. Due to my tendency of becoming more tired, anxious, and irritable amid the negative temperatures, I make it a habit of nature to always have something fun to look forward to with friends, my boyfriend, all while indulging myself in homework and extracurricular fun. Throughout the winter, life doesn’t have to be seen through a dark or gloomy lens – with friends or yourself you can enjoy a good show (Euphoria duh), a night out with friends, or a trip to the city to completely indulge in the winter aesthetic of shopping, theatre, and cozy restaurants! 

Though it can be a lonesome few months after the rush of the holiday season, it doesn’t mean the celebrations have to necessarily end – take care of yourself my college friends and aim each week to find a reason to smile (seriously mark it in your planner). Though a morning routine, cute outfit, or hangout with friends doesn’t completely “fix” or ‘heal” whatever it is you are experiencing within you, it is a positive step in the right direction to avoid isolation and seasonal depression. You have resources and you are never alone – light awaits!

Madison Miller

Sacred Heart '23

Hi everyone - I’m Maddy Miller from Narragansett, Rhode Island, and am studying sociology on the path to become an Occupational Therapist with a double minor in psychology and writing?Her Campus means so much to me and gives me an expressive platform to be myself and to showcase my creative potential. I am fortunate to be a editor for Sacred Heart University!