etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

9 Ways To Avoid “FOMO” This Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

FOMO: acronym; fear of missing out on something super fun, often resulting in traumatic, stress-induced issues.

So your friends ditched your plans, you have zip money in your savings, your parents don’t want you going, your boss is begging you to stay home and work, or you simply do not feel like traveling. Whatever your reason might be, you aren’t participating in spring break this year. So, what does one do over the break if they are not joining in on this college tradition?

1. Relax.

Not going on Spring Break does not make you lame. Take some deep breaths and realize that there are a ton of other things you can do instead of go on spring break.

2. Visit your friends at other schools.

Sacred Heart has a different spring break week than most colleges, so go visit your BFF who goes to the University of Florida. You’ll get to tan down there, party with your friend as if it were a spring break trip, and all you’ll have to pay for is your flight plus personal expenses. Get excited!

3. Eat.

While every other girl going on a spring break trip is dieting so they can look hot in their bikini instas, you can sit on your couch in sweats while eating a tub of ice cream in the comfort of your own home. There is plenty of time till summer to work on your bikini bod so take advantage of this time to enjoy eating and doing nothing! 

4. Take road trips.

If your friends from home do have the same Spring Break as you, then plan a spontaneous road trip! Even if it’s somewhere not too far away, get a hotel room, go shopping, and explore the area with your girlfriends for a few days! Who knows where your adventures will take you.

5. Get organized.

While everyone else is losing brain cells you can be using yours. Get ahead of your school work so that the next few weeks left at school will be stress free. Apply for any internships or jobs you want this summer. Think of things that you’ve been meaning to get done for a while but haven’t had the chance. Now’s the time to channel your inner Hermione Granger.

6. Change something up.

Do something that will give you a new perspective or a fresh new feeling. You could rearrange your room, try a new hairstyle, clean out your closet, and/or revamp your wardrobe by shopping for some trendy spring clothing.

Ahh. There’s nothing like that post-haircut feeling. Embrace it!

7. Plan something that you can look forward to in the summer.

Buy concert tickets or plan a trip to vacation somewhere fun with friends! This will keep you from dwelling on the fact that you aren’t somewhere warm for spring break. Plus, it’s always fun to have something to look forward to, right?

8. Save up your money and work!

While everyone else just spent half of their savings on a trip, you can save up and work throughout week. When everyone is complaining how poor they are when you get back to school, you’ll be like:

9. Do something you have always wanted to do.

Craft that really cool thing you saw on Pinterest that you haven’t gotten around to, read that book that everyone’s been talking about, try out some new recipes, experiment with makeup, buy a pet fish…the possibilities are endless!

The Bottom Line:

Think outside of the box and get creative! What can you do that you’ve always wanted to? Sitting around your house all day looking at your Instagram feed will give you serious FOMO, so get out and do something brag-worthy that you can tell everyone about when you get back to school! If you aren’t participating in spring break, it is definitely not the end of the world (unless you act like it is). Instead, have yourself a unique, fun, and productive week at home with family and friends!

Brittany Eger

Sacred Heart

Colleen O'Melia

Sacred Heart

Colleen O'Melia is a senior at Sacred Heart University. She is an English major with a concentration in Writing. Aside from being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Sacred Heart, she is President of Sacred Heart's Education Club, volunteers at a local schools, and mentors young students.