8 Reasons Why You Should Participate in Relay for Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

1. You get to learn about where your money goes to and how it actually fights back against cancer

“Your donations truly make a difference and are helping people locally right in Connecticut and New England. Not only does the money you raise benefit cancer research, but also helps support programs and services that improve a cancer patient’s quality of life. For example, the American Cancer Society offers free rides to treatment for patients who do not have transportation, free lodging for patients who need to be to be treated away from home, and a 24/7 365-day a year 1-800 number that helps a patient navigate their cancer journey.” – Hayley Foster, American Cancer Society Representative

2. Staying up all night! 

“This organization means a lot to me because it was the last thing I was able to do with my dad before he passed away. I keep him alive through Relay for Life. At this event, we go all night. We stay up from 3pm-3am and fighting back against cancer because cancer never sleeps.” – Sarah Palmieri

3. And you would be having a blast all night!

“Relay for Life allows me to connect with other organizations, while raising money toward a great cause.  I love going around to all the tables and playing games.  My favorite game to play at Relay for Life is Corn Hole!” – Ashley Nordone

4. The community is extradinoary.

“Relay for Life is synonymous with community. We all relay and walk for the same thing, as we are all in some way affected by cancer. You may not know the person you are walking next to, but you share the connection of cancer in some way.” – Olivia Traina

5. The stories you hear from cancer survivors is inspiring. 

“Listening to cancer survivors’ talk about their stories is one of my favorite parts of Relay For Life. Although it can be sad to hear how difficult their journeys have been it is amazing to see what it is that gets them through their battle with cancer. Sometimes it’s their spouse, other times their children, or perhaps simply a smile on a bad day, or maybe it’s waking up to watch the sunrise every morning and knowing that today is a new day. Many cancer survivors go through hell and back but they are some of the most positive people that I know and provide some of the most amazing inspiration for those around them.” – Victoria Milhomens

6. The Luminaria Ceremony is beautiful. 

“Last year I got the opportunity to experience Relay for Life. The Luminaria Ceremony gave me chills and was such a moving experience.  It was nice to be able to connect with other people whose lives have been touched by cancer and to know that we are not alone.” – Kara Fanelli

7. You would be an inspiration to those who are going through cancer now and cancer survivors

“To me, Relay means ‘WE got this’ as a team. You are not alone in your fight. Others may not know exactly what you are going through, but they are right there with us…. Fighting with us…. FOR us! It’s a very touching and inspiring event, and I am extremely proud to be apart of it.” – Andrea Cerone, Breast Cancer Survivor

8. It is simple as making a difference.

“Relay for Life is an opportunity for everyone to make a difference in this world. By coming to Relay for Life you are helping find a cure to cancer. It may not seem like it because you are having fun the whole time but everyone is making a difference at this event.” – Kat Seckler

Andrea Cerone, Breast Cancer Survivor

Victoria Caputo

Sacred Heart

Victoria Caputo is a junior at Sacred Heart University. She is an English Major with a double minor in Creative Writing and Graphic Design studying as a graduate student in the Elementary Education program. She is a co-chair of Relay for Life, the founder and President of To Write Love on Her Arms, and the newly appointed Treasurer of SHU's Her Campus Chapter!
Mass Communications student at Sacred Heart University - Addicted to traveling, brunch, and looking at instagram accounts of puppies and small animals - Love yourself!