This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Whether you ended on good terms or bad terms, whether you were together for just a little bit or you’ve known each other for years, splitting ties with someone never feels good, infact, it hurts… a lot. Even though this pain can last a while, it’s important to understand a few things to help the coping process become just a little bit easier.   

Connect With Others

Though this first one may seem obvious, connecting with other people is one of the most helpful things you can do. Whether they’re your best friend or your grandma, talking things out helps you understand your situation and your own feelings better. It also helps you detox extra thoughts and stress you may be keeping in your head. Sometimes it helps to see a friend who has experienced this before. They can help you understand that your feelings are real and show you that things do get better. 

Don’t Sell Yourself Short

Know that your feelings are real and don’t feel stupid or embarrassed for wanting to cry or being angry. 

Take The Time You Need

Without falling into unhealthy habits like not eating or not showing up to class/ not doing your work… make sure within these things you find time for yourself to wind down, relax and do something you enjoy while still being able to keep yourself distracted. For example, paint, watch a movie, get comfortable with a blanket and your favorite food, hang out with a friend, go to the gym, read a book, etc… 

Distract Yourself

Don’t be afraid to keep yourself busy. Though it may be hard at first, try and keep your schedule full with people, school work, and fun activities. This will 
help you keep your mind on things and help you have a better night’s sleep. 

Know that time will tell

Whether it’s meant to be or not, after giving yourself time to reflect you can reassess the situation, your feelings will be able to show how you truly feel.

"You Got This" sign with iPhone next to it
Photo by Prateek Katyal from Pexels

Mollie Lewis

Sacred Heart '24

I live in CT , attend Sacred Heart University, and am currently undecided in the school of Arts and Sciences.
Sacred Heart student from Mass, sharing my thoughts and interests with others on Her Campus :)