5 Home-Inspired Dorm Decor Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

We all know that dorm living can be a hard adjustment, and even harder to go back to for a second year. Between the cold white walls, ugly tile, and furniture that feels nothing like home- it helps to have a few things around you that make your dorm feel more like a bedroom, and less like a jail cell. Here is a list of 5 ways you can turn that drab dorm into a fab new living area for you and your friends!

1. Add touches of fabric around the room 

The plain walls can make the space feel cold and uninviting. Adding things like a tapestry or some curtains can really make a huge difference. Surprisingly, you can find cute and affordable tapestries on redbubble.com or Amazon. You can also find a tension rod to hang curtains from places like Target. They’re super cheap, and don’t require drilling any holes in the wall! 

2. Light up the space 

The fluorescent lighting is not flattering and always gave me a headache. After a stressful day of classes, or a long weekend, it’s always nice to come back to your room, shut off all the lights, and relax when you turn on your string lights. 

Pro tip: It’s also nice to have a desk lamp with warm lighting to turn on while doing your makeup. It is more similar to natural light and will not wash you out the way the fluorescent bulbs do. 

3. Throw blankets and pillows are a must

This will make your room look more put together and give it the extra accent it needs. They also make the bed super comfy and can also be a way to add some color to a plain room. 

4. Cover the walls 

Hang up different things on the wall. Whether that be a bunch of quotes that you’d like to see everyday, or just something you think is cute and matches your bedding- it’s always nice to have things to look at instead of chips on the wall from the previous people who lived there. 

5. Pictures 

Sometimes a dorm room can be pretty lonely. Even when you find yourself surrounded with people at all hours of the day- it can be hard to adjust to the amount of alone time you get. Having pictures on the wall that remind you of home can make a world of difference. 

Hopefully these tips help you create a cozy dorm room that feels a little more like home!

Currently on a mission to become a successful boss lady in the fashion world.
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.