Style > Decor

5 Easy to Care for Houseplants That Your Dorm Room is Missing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

If you’re like me, then you’re a total plant lover. Plants are a great addition to any room, especially when you add a fun pot. My love for plants started to blossom (pun intended) during my freshman year of college. Dorm rooms can feel pretty uninviting if you don’t add some decorations. A few plants were just what I needed to make my space feel homey. Since then, my collection has grown and I think I’ve learned a thing or two about plants along the way. I’ve compiled a list of my personal favorite and easy to take care of houseplants that would make a great addition to any college dorm room:

Old Lady Cactus

This member of the succulent family is very easy to care for and a perfect option for newbie plant lovers. Like all cactuses, the old lady cactus thrives on sunlight and should ideally be placed in or near a window when kept indoors. While they don’t necessarily require constant direct sunlight, window placement offers consistent light throughout the day. Additionally, this plant does not mandate frequent waterings; in fact, overwatering can be extremely damaging so be careful to let the soil dry out in between each watering. If you provide your old lady cactus with adequate amounts of sunlight and water, they will flower a reddish/purple in a beautiful halo formation along the top of your plant!

Hawthornia

The Hawthornia, another member of the succulent family, is considered to be one of the easiest houseplants to care for! Like other members of the succulent family, the Hawthornia thrives in direct sunlight but can tolerate indirect sunlight. Like the old lady cactus, overwatering the Hawthornia can be very damaging. This plant only needs to be watered every 3-4 weeks.

Spider Plant

The spider plant is one of the most adaptable house plants as they can tolerate a lot of ‘abuse’ – this is another perfect option for newbie plant owners. They prefer bright but indirect sunlight, so you really do not need to place them in a windowsill. I personally keep mine on my desk and it’s thriving! These plants prefer cooler temperatures but for a good real of thumb: if you’re comfortable, your plant is too! This plant also benefits from occasional pruning.

Snake Plant

The snake plant is another adaptable and tolerant houseplant! You can neglect this plant for weeks and it will not only survive, but still look fresh. The snake plant thrives in consistent, indirect sunlight. All Though, this is another plant you must be careful not to overwater – let the soil dry out in between waterings; in fact, only water your snake plant monthly in the cooler winter months.

Fake Plant

If all else fails, get a fake plant! If you want that extra pop of color that a plant offers, but don’t think you can keep one alive, head to Marshalls – they have a great selection of cheap fake plants. 

Plants in fun pots on a shelf
Photo by Prudence Earl from Unsplash

Kaitlin Katzenback

Sacred Heart '21

Hey I'm Kaitlin, a senior at Sacred Heart University. I love writing about beauty, food, and of course my time at SHU :)
Sacred Heart student from Mass, sharing my thoughts and interests with others on Her Campus :)