5 Amazing National Parks That’ll Inspire The Traveler In You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.
The one thing that has really rooted and grounded me as an individual is immersing myself in nature. I feel like there’s nothing quite as special as enjoying some peace of mind while listening to birds singing and a warm breeze on your face, it really is a grounding experience. My passion for nature has inspired me to travel to many of our US National Parks, and I’d love to share with you some of my favorites. 
Zion (Utah)

Zion is a Southwestern wonder to behold! With tons of beautiful red rock, tall mountains, and insane, 360 degree  mountainscapes, Zion is a treasure waiting to be found. The park is huge, so you can spend multiple days here and find something new daily. With temperatures often reaching the 90’s-100’s in the summer season, be sure to bring plenty of water and a good hat to keep the sun off your face!

Grand Canyon (Arizona)

This notorious National Park needs no introduction – not only is the Grand Canyon a National Park, it is also one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World, making it an awe-inspiring, surreal experience, but also an insane tourist trap. Because of this, be prepared to wait in some serious car lines (unless you’re up early); yet luckily, the park is so big that it’ll be no trouble at all to find some solace and quiet. I have to say, crowds aside, the Grand Canyon is by far one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

Yosemite (California) 

This park is another absolutely surreal, hidden gem in California. Yosemite is home to some extremely well known free climbing rock wall masterpieces and gorgeous hiking trails with unbelievable views of some famous rock forms such as Half Dome and El Capitan. Check out the documentary “Free Solo” on Netflix to see some really breathtaking views of Yosemite, and the enthralling free climb of a lifetime taken by Alex Honnald. 

Acadia (Maine)

I wanted to add Acadia to this list because it’s a little closer to home for us New Englanders at SHU, and is a much more achievable weekend trip for us. Although the beauty is slightly more subdued compared to spots like the Grand Canyon, it is still an epic adventure and a serene place to visit. I took a hiking trip here this summer for the weekend and it was one of my favorite trips I’ve ever taken. The mountains made for some strenuous hikes, but the views at the top are always worth it. 

Redwood (California)

Redwood is like a twilight zone to me. The trees at Redwood are truly as big and awesome as they are made to seem. The light from above is filtered from the dense trees, darkening the vibe, but creating a deeply sensational experience with the woods. This park does NOT get enough credit!  

I hope this inspires you to get out there, enjoy nature, and learn more about our beautiful planet.
Hope Lecours

Sacred Heart '21

Hey! I'm Hope, and I'm a senior at SHU! I love the beach, being with my friends, and being in nature. So nice to meet you!
Sacred Heart student from Mass, sharing my thoughts and interests with others on Her Campus :)