A Quick Guide on Camp Fire Resources

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

The Camp Fire in Butte County, which started on Thursday November 8th, has destroyed over 7,000 structures and displaced thousands of people according to The Sacramento Bee. It has become the most destructive fire in the history for the state of California. Many people had to flee from their homes with only the shirts on their back. Also with the evacuation order, they weren’t able to return home to gather their belongings and find their pets to bring them to safety.

Photo Courtesy of National Environment Health Association

Here are resources collected for those affected by the fire and information for those who wish to help in some way.

Resources for Victims of the Camp Fire in Butte County:

Photo by Scott Strazzante Courtesy of The Chronicle

1. Safe and Well:

Red Cross uses a “safe and well,” which has a running list of all the names of people who have evacuated and are safe in another location. Many families were separated when evacuating, so if you are searching for a loved one be sure to check here. It is constantly being updated.

2. North Valley Animal Disaster Group:

If you were forced to evacuate and couldn’t return to get your animals, the North Valley Animal Disaster Group is able to enter the evacuation zone to get your pets/livestock. They also provide emergency animal shelter; if you are looking for your animals, this is the first group to contact.

3. Camp Fire Butte County Resource Facebook Group:

This group focuses solely on sharing resources for the victims of the fire. Anyone has access to their group, where you can also find posts devoted to the people still missing.

4. Other Facebook Groups:

There are lots of Facebook Groups run by people in Butte County, that are all trying to get information out about missing persons, missing pets/animals, resources, up-to-date information, and much more.

MORE CAMP FIRE RESOURCES/INFORMATION

MISSING PERSONS

MISSING PETS/LIVESTOCK

5. Finding Shelter through AirBnB:

AirBnB has a page dedicated to displaced people looking for shelter, they have many homes available all over the Butte Country area.

6. Capital Public Radio:

Capital Public Record has compiled a list of information regarding evacuation warnings/orders and a list of evacuation center/shelters. They also included a list of animal shelters for small and large animals.

Information on Assisting the Victims of the Camp Fire in Butte County:

Photo Courtesy of North Valley Animal Disaster Group

1.Camp Fire Butte Website:

This website has lots of information on where you can donate, volunteer, and offer other types of relief. There are countless options of helping out here, so if you can’t devote time perhaps you can donate money or send supplies.

2 .North Valley Community Foundation:

For those of you who would like to donate money, this foundation is working with the Butte County Fire Department to help those displaced from their homes.

3. Opening Your Home through AirBnB:

AirBnB has dedicated a page to help the victims of the Camp Fire, if you have a home or space available please think of registering it on AirBnB’s page.

4. Chico Enterprise Record:

The Chico ER has complied their own list of ways to help the Camp Fire victims. Most of these are specific to the Chico area.

5. Caring Choices:

If you want to help in a more hands-on way, please fill out an application at Caring Choices. This group is working closely with Butte County to get more volunteers to assist. They have a lot of applications being submitted so this may take time, but please submit yours as you will be needed in the weeks to come.

6. CSUS Chico Camp Fire:

Although Chico State has closed their campus, the university is still engaging with the community and offering relief. For more information on their services and how to help the victims,head to their page here.

In Sacramento and other surrounding areas, the air quality has reached unhealthy levels so it is best recommended to stay indoors. For more information, visit here. There are other businesses and local organizations taking donations and offering support to those who are affected by the wildfire disasters. Let us all come together and find ways to help those who have lost everything. Be sure to spread the word about all of the available resources and options to help out.

To start off, my name is Shawntay Arroyo and I am the Senior Editor for the Sacramento State chapter of Her Campus. I am an English Major and I intend on getting my Masters in English Literature with an emphasis on the American Gothic. I want to go into publishing, hopefully as an editor, and will also pursue freelance writing. I love my books, a teapot full of Chai tea, rainy weather, and working on my bullet journal.