Hanukkah History & Traditions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

It’s lit!

What is Hanukkah?

Personally, one of my favorite times of the year is Hanukkah. Eight days filled with blessings, candles, latkes and family is what I most look forward to during the holiday season. Hanukkah is a Jewish festival lasting eight days. This holiday is celebrated with family, friends and food to commemorate the miracle of a small fragment of oil that lasted eight days after the Maccabees conquered the Syrians.

What is the Historical Background?

Hanukkah arose during a turbulent time in Jewish history. Judea (also known as the land of Israel) came under control of Antiochus, the King of Syria. While Antiochus III allowed Jews to live freely and practice their religion, Antiochus IV proved less tolerant.

The stories recount that he outlawed Judaism and forced the Jewish people to worship Greek Gods. In 168 B.C., Antiochus’ soldiers attempted to destroy Jerusalem and shattered the holy temple. Led by Rabbi (a Jewish priest), Mattathias and his five sons rebelled against Antiochus IV. When Mattathias passed away his son Judah Maccabee took control and successfully ran the Syrians out of Jerusalem.

After the revolt, Judah Maccabee ordered everyone to cleanse the holy temple, rebuild the altar and light the menorah. According to the Talmud (one of Judaism’s most central texts), the limited amount of olive oil lasted for eight days. The olive oil that miraculously lasted for eight days is the miracle of Hanukkah. And is the reason Jewish families from around the world gather and celebrate today.

How is this Holiday Celebrated?

Some of the traditions that follow this holiday include lighting the menorah, playing dreidel and eating fried foods. Common ways of celebrating include gathering with family and friends over the course of the eight days or going to Synagogue.

Lighting the Menorah

Lighting the menorah is a tradition that symbolizes the olive oil that lasted for eight days. Each candle represents a day in which the oil lasted. During this ritual, families will say the blessing and proceed to participate in other activities.

Latkes & Jelly Donuts

These greasy delights are definitely my favorite aspect of this holiday. Fried food is typically the main course of a meal to represent the oil that lasted for eight days in the holy temple. A fan favorite of many, latkes are a fried potato pancake made with grated potatoes and onions. It’s usually served with sour cream and applesauce. For dessert, families will usually serve donuts (my family buys Krispy Kreme donuts).

Dreidel

A dreidel is a four sided spinning top with Hebrew letters on each side. This popular game is used to “gamble” chocolate coins. Each letter represents an amount of chocolate coins or money (otherwise known as gelt) someone either receives or has to give up.

Lastly, the festival of lights is a holiday that brings family, friends and the Jewish community together. In order to commemorate biblical history and recognize the miracle that took place at the destroyed Temple. I hope you all have a lit eight days!