This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

As the year is coming to an end, it’s an opportunity to look back on the things that you have gone through, good or bad. This year may have seemed as if it has gone by in a flash, but in reality, there was so much that happened. It’s good to take time to reflect and see that every little thing you have faced this year has shaped you to become the person you are today.

Here are some of the topics that can be reflected upon:
Family

As the saying goes, “blood is thicker than water.” Thanksgiving is a time where family comes together and spends time with one another. Sometimes we’re all so busy that we forget about appreciating our family and how they will always be there for us when most people aren’t.

Friendship

The friends in your life will come and go. Only those who treasure the friendship stick around forever. That’s how most friendships are, so it’s important to treasure what you have at this moment. Besides family, friends are the ones who will stick with you and be by your side. Those who make you laugh and enjoy life are the ones that are really worth living in the moment with.

Mistakes made

We all make mistakes. It’s no doubt that those very mistakes are what make us the people we are today. You live and you learn. You can’t turn back time and do things differently, but you can change your mindset and work on yourself so you won’t make the same mistakes again.

Little victories

Sometimes you may be so focused on long term goals that you forget about the small achievements you make on a daily basis. From getting up in the morning and getting through another day to passing that quiz you thought you were going to fail. It all counts for something.

Mental health

Each day comes with its own ups and downs. Our mindset is always going to change, but being able to overcome the negativity throughout this year is something that takes mental strength. Having positive energy and a good mindset can be difficult especially when things don’t go our way. You’re here now and you will continue to get through whatever you’re going through.

There is so much to be grateful for. Remember to count your blessings and know that good things will keep coming your way.

Samirah Yang

Sacramento '22

Samirah is currently a second year at Sacramento State and majors in Psychology. Some of her interests include writing, photography, videography, and eating.