This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

Rating: 4/10

What is it about horror movies that packs us into the theater? The terror? The adrenaline rush? The need to know how it ends? Whatever it is that drives you into seeking out these frightening films, here is another one to check out. Another horror movie to fuel our needs.

The Possession of Hannah Grace is about an exorcism spiraling out of control and killing the young Hannah Grace (Kirby Johnson). Months later morgue worker Megan Reed (Shay Mitchell) is working the graveyard shift when she gets the delivery of a disfigured cadaver. Locked alone inside the basement corridors, Megan begins to experience horrifying visions and starts to suspect the body may still be possessed by a malevolent demon.

Here’s my review on The Possession of Hannah Grace. SPOILERS AHEAD!

Photo by Jeremy Yap on Unsplash

The Possession of Hannah Grace was not what I expected. I don’t mean that in a good way. The film shocks you with an opening scene which makes you excited to see more. Sadly, that was the only thrill you were given for a while, leaving you counting down the minutes until the next scream. When your prayers are finally answered, you are left disappointed.

Not only was the horror scene quick, it was also boring. Unlike most horror movies, this film did not give you the terrifying feeling you know and love. This demonic possession horror film has enough good moments that it’s a shame the producers didn’t try harder. For every effective scene, there’s another scene that’s lazy, slow paced and repetitive.

In the end, this film will give you high expectations and no satisfaction.

Photo by MontyLov on Unsplash

There is light at the end of this tunnel. Although this film isn’t fear inducing, it is still plenty suspenseful. This movie is set in a different location than what you typically see in horror movies and the special effects were quite disturbing, giving this film a high rating on the creepy scale.

Though it has a few flaws, this film delivered intense holding-your-breath scenes. With a well-known cast including Shay Mitchell and Grey Damon, these actors were able to portray their character perfectly. 

The Possession of Hannah Grace held potential and the opening scene definitely delivered. It’s creepy. It’s disturbing.

In the end, it is more thriller than horror. For those movie lovers who like to be on the edge of your seats, but don’t like to be to terrified this film is worth checking out. Who doesn’t like a good scare?

Ayanna Bolden

Sacramento '23

Hello, my name is Ayanna Bolden. I am a child development major and writer for my chapter!