This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

Lizzie McGuire is headed back to the screen, with a slight delay. We got a first glimpse at the reboot as part of the streaming service’s (Disney +) 2020 preview, but it was only a tease. A brief glimpse of Lizzie, played by Hilary Duff, saying “Hi, it’s me.” Variety recently reported that the original Lizzie McGuire creator Terri Minsky, who had signed on to return as the showrunner already launched production on the new series, has stepped away after filming two episodes. 

“Fans have a sentimental attachment to Lizzie McGuire and high expectations for a new series,” said a Disney spokesperson to Variety. “After filming two episodes, we concluded that we need to move in a different creative direction and are putting a new lens on the show.” A new showrunner has not yet been named and production on the show has been put on hiatus because of the behind-the-scenes change, but in the meantime, Duff is honeymooning with her new husband, Matthew Koma. 

What is the series about?

The new series will follow Lizzie in New York City, working her “dream job” as an apprentice to a hip NYC designer, in a seemingly “perfect” romantic relationship with a gorgeous chef who works at a cool Soho restaurant. But as the series launches, we’ll learn that Lizzie’s life is not as perfect as it may seem. 

“Lizzie gets some pretty big news at the end of the episode,” Duff told GMA. That news will take her from NYC back to LA. “She’s not going to stay in Brooklyn too long actually. That’s where she’s been, but she’ll be coming back to Los Angeles. She’s forced out of New York.”

Who is back for the reboot?

Well, you can’t reboot Lizzie McGuire without Lizzie. Duff is, thankfully, back as the lovable character. She’s bringing most of the gang with her. 

In November of 2019, she posted an Instagram picture of herself posing with actor Adam Lamberg, who played her best friend Gordo. 

“Gordo was an essential piece of the puzzle to what made the original Lizzie McGuire so authentic and beloved,” Duff said in a statement. “I couldn’t imagine the series without him. I can’t wait for fans to see what he’s up to 15 years later and how he fits into Lizzie’s adult world.” 

On October 24, Disney + confirmed that Hallie Todd, Robert Carradine, and Jake Thomas will reprise their roles as mom Jo, dad Sam, and brother Matt, in the upcoming reboot. 

Lalaine Vergara-Paras, who plays Miranda, has not confirmed a return though.

Although it is not yet known when Lizzie McGuire is launching, longtime fans will hopefully not have to wait too long.

Ayanna Bolden

Sacramento '23

Hello, my name is Ayanna Bolden. I am a child development major and writer for my chapter!