The Lalagirl Smiling Holding Journal
The Lalagirl Smiling Holding Journal
Her Campus Media

A Beginner’s Guide to Bullet Journaling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

With the new semester starting, it would be very helpful to have everything organized when it comes to assignments and due dates. One way that people do that is by bullet journaling. You may have heard of it and seen it before, but most people don’t get around to starting one. Bullet journals can be used as a planner and much more. It sometimes requires time and patience to create it and some people just don’t have that luxury. If you are looking to start one, here are some things to consider.

Type of Journal

Most people use journals that are dotted when it comes to bullet journaling. There are also other journals with grids, lines, or are just blank. Dots and grids are a great way to start because it helps to keep things in a straight line, whether it be handwriting or designs that you want to add to a page. There are also journals with different types of thickness. Using a journal with thick paper might be more ideal so that the pens you use won’t bleed through to the other side.

Pens

There are many brands of pens out there that can be used for bullet journaling. Many people attribute calligraphy with journaling. Calligraphy is decorative handwriting with a pen or brush. People may think that they have to be good at calligraphy before they start bullet journaling. That is not true at all. You don’t have to buy expensive brush pens or anything fancy, unless that is the style that you’re going for. The most recommended pens would be pens that glide softly over the paper for the cleanest writing.

Style

There are so many creative things that one can do to personalize their journal. It might be a challenge at first because you don’t know where to start. A great way to find inspiration would be Pinterest and Instagram. There are lots of accounts on Instagram that post their daily bullet journal pages. There are also many ideas you can get from Pinterest. It is important to note that style changes all the time so go ahead and experiment with all types. You will eventually find something you like and stick with it.

As a beginner, don’t worry about having the most perfect bullet journal. With any process, it will take time and patience to be able to perfect it. Bullet journaling is a great way to get creative so it’s also important to not compare your process to another person’s. Remember to have fun with it while also using it to help you stay organized.

Samirah Yang

Sacramento '22

Samirah is currently a second year at Sacramento State and majors in Psychology. Some of her interests include writing, photography, videography, and eating.