Culture > News

5 Upcoming Events in Sacramento to Get Into The Christmas Spirit!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

Ugly sweaters, wooly scarves, family traditions, tree lightings, and an endless stream of presents. All this, and people still doubt that Christmas is by far the best holiday of the year.

The holiday season is here, there is no better way to get in the Christmas spirit than spending time with family and friends. Christmas begins with an infinite amount of events, ranging from the Christmas markets, ice rinks, tree lightings, late night shopping and more.

To help you manage what to do this Christmas, I have put a little list together to ensure you make the most of the festive season!

1. Theater of Light Spectacular

During this time of year, the Old Sacramento Waterfront is transformed into a winter wonderland! People come from all over the city to watch the light show spectacular and a unique retelling of the classic “Twas the Night Before Christmas”. Who doesn’t love a beautiful tree lighting? So take a short break from studying and go enjoy the show! Shows will be held every Thursday through Sunday at 6pm and 7:30pm from November 23rd to December 24th.

2.  Holiday Craft and Vendor Fair

Join Courtyard D’ORO for a Holiday Craft & Vendor Fair at the Old Sacramento Waterfront. If you’re interested in finding a one-of-a-kind gift for a family member or friend this holiday season, here is your opportunity! With tons of locally made and handcrafted items on sale, you’re guaranteed to find a gift that special someone will love! This event is on December 9th from 11am-4pm. It will be held at 1107 Firehouse Alley in Old Sacramento.

3.  Christmas in the Park

Christmas in the Park is a safe family holiday event with entertainment, musical choirs, kids workshops, cookies, candy canes and more. Have a relaxing evening in the park with your family and don’t forget to snag some of the free cookies! This event is going on from December 21st to 23rd from 6pm-8pm; it will be held at 3525 Norwood Avenue, Robertson Park.

4. The Ugly Sweater Christmas Crawl [21+ Only]

The Ugly Sweater Christmas Crawl looks to be the largest holiday-themed event in the Downtown Sacramento Area. From surrounding venues to holiday street activations, this event will have music, food, drinks and activities all along K Street to Old Sacramento. Enjoy a night out on the town with your best friends! The best part of this event is that $1 of every ticket sold will benefit Sacramento Self Help Housing (http://sacselfhelp.org/). The crawl is scheduled for December 23rd at 6pm and December 24th at 2am. Check in is at the Downtown Sacramento Ice Rink on 701 K Street. Remember to drink responsibly.

5. Friday Flicks

Enjoy your free time while you can with this fun and free event! Before finals week begins, celebrate the holidays with a movie in the square. Be sure to get there early to get a good seat! Bring the family along with a few blankets and pillows to watch “The Polar Express” under the stars! The movie is on December 2nd at 6:30pm and is being held at Vernon St. Town Square in Roseville.

Although this list is small, there are plenty of fun activities to attend this month all over town. Invite a few friends and family to enjoy these fun holiday events. Be sure to de-stress from finals by taking a small break!

Ayanna Bolden

Sacramento '23

Hello, my name is Ayanna Bolden. I am a child development major and writer for my chapter!