thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

5 Problems Every Introvert Faces

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

Being an introvert can be difficult sometimes. According to dictionary.com, an introvert is defined as “a shy person” and “a person characterized by concern primarily with his or her own thoughts and feelings.” Most people would characterize introverts as quiet and reserved, those who keep to themselves.

Introverts have to face issues daily, and here are some that are most common:

1. Being asked why you’re so quiet

“Why are you so quiet?” or “you don’t talk a lot, do you?” It’s usually extroverted people who ask introverts these questions. Sometimes introverts just feel as if there’s nothing they need to say so they keep to themselves. It can also be mixed with feelings of shyness, anxiety, or both. For me, I may have a lot of things on my mind but I never really say them out loud unless I feel as if it’s important enough.

2. Feeling drained after one social interaction

Social interactions drain the energy out of most introverts. For others who are extroverted, being social will feed into their energy but it mostly does the opposite for introverts. It’s not that we find socializing to not be fun, but rather we have to put in more effort into something we are not used to doing and it may sometimes be uncomfortable doing something different and out of our comfort zone.

3. Regretting saying yes to going out with friends

A lot of introverts like to stay in their cozy little rooms. We just find it more comfortable to be doing things that we like to do. When asked to go out, introverts may say yes because they feel as if they stay inside too often. But when the day actually comes where they have to go out, they instantly regret saying yes because of how much preparation it might take. These include things such as outfit planning and counting how many hours it’ll take for the socializing to be over.

4. Going to places with lots of people

Places like school and huge events stress me out sometimes. There’s just so many people everywhere you turn and it can be uncomfortable for introverts. It sometimes feels as if everyone is staring at you and that’s when the self-consciousness kicks in. Whenever I see a lot of people walking on a certain pathway at school, I usually find another route with fewer people to avoid potential social interactions. I’m starting to accept that no one is actually paying attention to you because they all have their own thoughts and lives to think about so that’s comforting to know.

5. Not knowing how to end an unwanted conversation

As mentioned earlier, introverts may not always talk a lot. When someone starts a conversation with me, I usually freak out for a second. As introverts, it may be stressful not knowing what to say. Sometimes I just spew out something and it might not even make sense and then think about the nonsense that I say for the rest of the day. When it comes to conversing with someone, I have learned that it’s best to speak slowly so you are able to get your point across and not stutter so much. It’s also okay to take your time to think of your response to the other person.

As introverts, it’s important to know that you are not alone! There are others out there who go through similar struggles that you may be facing. Sometimes you may feel misunderstood by others but it’s okay to be going through situations like these. That’s what makes us all human. We live and we learn. Regardless of whether you are an introvert or not, you are loved and appreciated so just keep being you!

Samirah Yang

Sacramento '22

Samirah is currently a second year at Sacramento State and majors in Psychology. Some of her interests include writing, photography, videography, and eating.