5 Events to Attend This Spring Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

Hurray, the spring semester has finally started and winter break is already over. Don’t fret! We have officially entered this new year with one month down and four more months left until summer break. It is now your chance to have a fresh start to 2018 by meeting new people from your classes to try getting involved in clubs or organizations on campus. Since there are so many things to look forward to this semester, I put together a list of five events happening in Sacramento that I thought you should check out!

1. Valentine’s Day

Photo Courtesy of Element5 Digital

Aww… love enters the air on February 14th. That means it’s time to celebrate Valentine’s Day or what I personally like to refer to it as Galentine’s Day! It is one of my favorite ways to celebrate with my besties because we can go out dancing and do fun date nights with each other, worry free! If you are looking to see some fun events in Sacramento to spend time with your sweetie or besties, check out these local events here. It’s ok too if you are so over the mushy, gooey holiday because you can always have time for  #selflove. You do you, boo because you deserve it.

2. Black Panther Movie

Photo Courtesy of Alex Munsell

I am so excited to see Black Panther because Chadwick Boseman will be portraying the first Marvel superhero of African descendant! Fun fact: Did you know Ryan Coolger, is the director of this movie and a California State University of Sacramento alumnus? Be sure to grab some popcorn to enjoy this highly anticipated film, which will be hitting theaters February 16th!

3. The Oscars 2018

Photo Courtesy of Skitter Photo

This year will be the 90th Academy Awards for all of the Oscar nominees to be recognized for their talented work in the film industry including a Sacramento native female director, Greta Gerwig. Gerwig is known for her recent film, “Lady Bird,” which received a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and includes a trip with friends. local scene settings from East Sacramento of the Fabulous 40s homes, Tower Theatre, The Mckinley Park Rose Garden and other hotspots! Also, Jimmy Kimmel will be hosting this year’s show, which will be happening on March 4th. We will be watching to support Gerwig and her Oscar nominated film because we are #SacramentoProud.

4. Plan for Spring Break

Photo Courtesy of Evan Phillip

Finally, it’s time for our spring break, which will be March 19th-23rd! We will have the whole week off to go home for Easter or plan an epic road trip with friends. Either way, it will be much needed because we will be done with midterms and almost towards the end of the semester, where soon to be graduates will be officially done and if you are like me, I’ll be ready to hit up the beaches this summer before fall semester begins.

5. Vagina Monologues

Photo Courtesy of Thorn Yang

I am so excited to attend the Vagina Monologues, which is happening on April 5th at 7pm! The Vagina Monologues is sponsored by The University Union, UNIQUE Programs, Active Minds and Student Health and Counseling Services at Sacramento State, but written by Eve Ensler. This play focuses on interviews with women, who discuss and display their emotion about all things involving sex, including intimacy, experiences, relationships, violence, vulnerability and other issues similar to self-discovery. Also, the proceeds from this production will go to support a local organization, My Sister’s House. To learn more information on this production and the costs, visit here to purchase your ticket!

There are so many exciting events coming up this semester, it can be challenging to pick only one event to attend! I can assure you, whichever event you do decide to attend, you definitely won’t be disappointed because each event will bring a new appreciation for the Sacramento talent we have within our own community.

Guinnevere King

Sacramento '18

.