5 Easy Ways to Decorate Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

A clean room with blank walls and a plain bed is a great excuse to invest in cute room decor like fairy lights and cute pillows. Here are some fun suggestions, inspiration and ideas to help transform your dorm room into your new home away from home.

1. Wall Grid

Photo By John Mark Arnold Courtesy of Unsplash

A wall grid can help you stay organized in not only an efficient but visually appealing way. This minimalist look is a great addition to any wall and can come in a variation of colors and prices. Wall grids can commonly be found at Urban Outfitters and Amazon and can be twenty to thirty dollars. With a wall grid, you can easily hang up your to-do list, pictures with loved ones or motivational quotes to help you get through the day. Urban Outfitters sells an affordable wall grid for sixteen dollars!

2. Gallery Wall

Being in a new atmosphere can leave you missing the comfort of home. Avoid these feelings and add familiarity to your space by hanging up pictures of friends and family on your wall! Making a photo wall is as easy as taping up pictures of your family and friends or pinning your favorite Polaroids. Teen Vogue gives a how to tutorial on this fun addition to a dorm room.

3. Tapestry

Add some color to your space by hanging up a fun tapestry! Tapestries are available at many stores and locations, come in a variation of colors and patterns and vary in price. Common sites and stores to find affordable and fun tapestries include Domrify, Redbubble and Urban Outfitters.

4. Lights

Neon lights can certainly brighten up your space. Inspired by Urban Outfitters, the idea of neon lights can add an edgy vibe to your dorm. They come in many fun shapes, colors and even slogans. These are available at your go to stores like Amazon, Urban Outfitters and Target. If you choose to purchase fairy lights, you can hang them up above your bed or around a photo/gallery wall. If you have a slogan, you can use command strips to hang it on your wall or use it as a lamp for your desk.                                     

5. Fun Pillows

An assortment of pillows can be an easy and affordable way to decorate a dorm room. Get creative with fun patterns, fabrics, and colors to make your space unique to you. Whether that means going for an all out seventies theme with corduroy pillows and funky patterns, or taking a simple approach by using neutral colors. Affordable pillows are available online and in stores at Dormify, Urban Outfitters, Target or Amazon.

Designing your space by adding pictures, fun pillows, and cool prints can not only brighten up a dull space but help make your space feel more like a home away from home.