This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

Thanksgiving is just around the corner and that means you should probably start thinking of what you’ll bring to that family dinner or Friendsgiving event. With life being so hectic for most college students, we won’t always have time to prep or cook something extravagant. That’s why it’s a great thing that there are so many easy recipes that you can do at the last minute that are sure to be crowd-pleasers.

Here are three easy recipes that you can quickly whip up for Thanksgiving:
Three Bread Stuffing

Ingredients:

½ loaf sourdough bread

½ loaf rye bread

4 tablespoons of unsalted butter

1 cup of frozen chopped onions*

3 celery stalks, chopped*

2 medium carrots, chopped*

Salt

Black pepper

1 (14 ounces) bag of cornbread stuffing

2 cups of chicken broth

1 cup turkey gravy

2 large eggs, beaten

1 tablespoon poultry seasoning

½ cup grated Parmesan

*these can be bought pre-cut at Trader Joe’s or Walmart*

Directions:

For this dish, you start off by cutting the bread into 1-inch cubes and spread them on baking sheets. You can leave them out overnight to get stale or bake them in the oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Next, you will heat a large skillet and melt the butter. Then add the onions, celery, and carrots and season them with salt and pepper. Cook this until the vegetables are soft and then let them cool down. After that, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and butter a 9×13 inch baking dish. Next, put the bread cubes into a large bowl with the cornbread stuffing and add the vegetables. In a separate bowl, mix together the broth, gravy, eggs, and poultry seasoning. You will pour this over the bread mix which will turn moist but not too wet. Finish up by topping the dish with parmesan. Bake the dish for about 35 to 40 minutes until the top is brown and the stuffing is cooked through.

Cream Corn

Ingredients:

2 (10 ounces) packages frozen corn kernels, thawed

1 cup heavy cream

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons of granulated sugar

¼ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons of butter

1 cup of whole milk

2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour

Directions:

In a skillet over medium heat, combine the corn, cream, salt, sugar, pepper and butter. Whisk together the milk and flour, and stir into the corn mixture. Cook stirring over medium heat until the mixture is thickened, and corn is cooked through. Remove from heat, and stir in the parmesan cheese until melted. Serve hot.

Potato Ham Chowder

Ingredients:

4 slices of bacon, diced

¼ cup of unsalted butter

2 cloves of garlic, minced

1 onion, diced

1 ½ cups of frozen corn kernels

2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves

2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour

3 ½ cups of milk, or more as needed

2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced

1 (7 ounces) package of ham steak, diced

Salt

Black pepper

Directions:

For this dish, you will first heat a large skillet on high heat. Add the bacon and cook for about 6 to 8 minutes and then transfer it onto a paper towel-lined plate. Melt the butter in a large stockpot and add garlic and onions, cooking it until the onions become translucent. Then put in the corn and thyme for 1 to 2 minutes. Use a whisk and pour in the flour until it is lightly browned. After that, you will gradually whisk in the milk and continue whisking it until it thickens. Once it reaches the consistency you want it to, stir in the potatoes. Bring the pot to a boil and simmer it until the potatoes are tender. This will take 12 to 15 minutes. Then place the ham in the pot and season with salt and pepper.

I hope these recipes will be of use to you once Thanksgiving comes along. As always, if you need more ideas, Pinterest definitely has endless options. Happy holidays and may your stomachs be filled with delicious food this year!

Samirah Yang

Sacramento '22

Samirah is currently a second year at Sacramento State and majors in Psychology. Some of her interests include writing, photography, videography, and eating.