IPGE Department Welcomes All With Potluck And Games

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

The International Potluck in the IPGE Office was full of food, fun and great conversation. There was some stiff competition with Sacramento State’s Associated Students, Inc. event in the Global Lounge next door on December 6th.

Despite this, there was a fantastic turnout and we had a good mix of International Students and Study Abroad Alumni who came and enjoyed the food and festivities.

What Does IPGE stand for?

IPGE stands for International Programs & Global Engagement. It is the Sacramento State headquarters for incoming International students and study abroad students. They are our connection to the rest of the world and they have tons of events with a global focus.

The International Potluck is one of many events held this year to bring all global citizens together on campus. Many of the events serve to get the study abroad alumni and the International students involved in campus life.

I spoke with Charlie Bonfert, the International Buddy Program Coordinator and Study Abroad Peer Advisor, who played a role in planning events this semester. I asked him a few questions:

1. What is the main objective of the International Potluck and other events held by the IPGE office?

Photo Courtesy of Shawntay Arroyo

“The main objective is to give our international students a place to be social and engage with other international students on and off campus. It is also a way to introduce local students to people from other countries. Especially those who are curious about other countries, who want to practice a language and who want to learn about another culture.”

2. Is anyone on campus invited to IPGE events? Who is the main audience you are trying to reach with these events?

Photo Courtesy of Shawntay Arroyo

“Yes, but we haven’t been promoting it that way. We want more of an idea of how beneficial and successful events are with international and study abroad alumni students. But it is the goal for the future to involve the entire student body more. As of now, our international students and study abroad alumni are our main audience. We cater to them specifically because these two groups typically go through culture shock and reverse culture shock, respectfully. These events are helpful for integration and reintegration into American society.”

3. Are there more events like the International Potluck planned for the future?

Photo Courtesy of Shawntay Arroyo

“Yes! There will be many Global Social Hours during the upcoming Spring semester. On-campus events will continue to be held because they are great for the international student’s first social interaction. Off-campus events will be happening continuously for students involved with IPGE. The goal is to get the international students more involved in the city and get them to integrate themselves into Sacramento and Sacramento State University. We want to make them feel like it’s their city too!”

With events like the International Potluck, we are becoming an more empathetic and culturally diverse campus. Being kind and understanding when it comes to each other’s differences is the best way to keep our campus a safe space for everyone.

Stay tuned for more events, Hornets!

To stay up to date follow Sacramento State Study Abroad on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

Also be sure to follow the Sacramento State International Hornets on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

To start off, my name is Shawntay Arroyo and I am the Senior Editor for the Sacramento State chapter of Her Campus. I am an English Major and I intend on getting my Masters in English Literature with an emphasis on the American Gothic. I want to go into publishing, hopefully as an editor, and will also pursue freelance writing. I love my books, a teapot full of Chai tea, rainy weather, and working on my bullet journal.