Why I Write (and Why You Should Too)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

I adore writing. 

It’s no secret. Why else would I be here?

Even when I was a child, I would write stories in class and at home about missing sapphires and birds who couldn’t fly (yes, those are actual plots of two of my stories). 

Were they good? Honestly, no. Not really. 

Did I enjoy it? With all my little heart. 

Whether it be creative writing or journaling, the art of writing has always managed to lift me up to heights I never knew I could reach and I’m hoping it can do the same for you.Here are the reasons why I write (and why you should too):

It helps relieve stress

Sometimes, it feels like stress is all there is, but a pen and paper can help with that.

Creative writing distracts me from what I have going on by plunging me into an entirely different world . I become immersed in the lives of my characters and their problems while escaping my own.

Writing is also a great tool when I need to get some weight off my chest. When there’s nobody to hear, nobody to tell, a piece of paper is a great listener. It’s also a good place in which to speak the darkness of one’s mind without consequences or judgement from anyone other than yourself. 

Other times, there’s no weight—just a mess of emotions. Every so often, I’m not even sure what I’m feeling or why I’m feeling it. 

Reflective writing helps people process their emotions by allowing them to think with a critical mindset and look at certain circumstances through a different perspective. On top of that, linking emotions to words can actually reduce the response in the part of your brain that processes emotion.

When I examine what I have in front of me through words, I’m not only able to evaluate my current situation, but I’m also able to evaluate myself and the emotions I have jumping around in my head. It becomes an effective way for me to link my reactions to a cause, thus allowing me to deal with what I’m feeling.

I may laugh at myself and think, Wow, that was pretty stupid and unnecessary of me, or I might realize that there is a different problem outside of myself and deal with it accordingly to better my own state of mind. Either way, I find it to be an effective coping mechanism

It’s a fun and creative process

In more ways than one, writing is a very imaginative process. Creative writing is the biggest example of this. 

Let’s be honest—we’ve all had at least one idea for a bestselling novel that we came up with in the shower, but never actually got around to realizing. Well, there’s no time like the present! It’s time to pull that idea out of the back of your mind and bring it to life. Who knows—it may actually be a bestseller one day.

Want to write a 100k word novel? Great! How about fanfic based on your favourite show? Also great! Write whatever it is that gets your heart pumping and those creative juices flowing.

Even if creative writing isn’t your thing, writing can still be a creative process. Take bullet journalling, for example. You get the opportunity to write about whatever the heck you want—life goals, things you’re thankful for, whatever. It’s your choice how you want to go about it.

You can use ten different coloured pens, write in different fonts, cut and paste pictures from magazines—the possibilities are endless.

Inspired yet? Quick, grab a pen and paper before you forget that idea! (And no, you will not remember it anyway—believe me, I know).

It helps me to communicate

Ever think of something really intelligent and amazing to say, but when you open your mouth, you have no idea what on God’s green earth just came out? You just kinda sit there dumbfounded and maybe even a little frustrated?

Well, if you’re anything like me, then you can relate and know how hard it can be to get your message across verbally. Sometimes I have so many thoughts jumping around in my mind that, when I try to speak, they roll off my tongue like a twisted pretzel. 

But with writing, I’m able to work through my scrambled thoughts by carefully laying out the mess of yarn in my head and slowly unravelling it to see the whole picture. Studies have shown that writing can help people communicate complex ideas in a more effective manner. It helps to have everything before my eyes since, unfortunately, my mind can be a pretty messy and disorganized place. 

It can have a huge impact on others

Not only can writing be a great thing for you, but it can also be life-changing for someone else. 

Okay, maybe not life-changing, but it can change a whole lot. 

Writing inspires. It educates. It entertains. 

When I write something and show it to someone else who smiles after reading it, I feel accomplished. Making other people happy is what makes me happy. If I can spark even the tiniest bit of light inside a person, I think I’ve done a good job.

And it’s not only provoking feelings—it’s igniting passions. If one person breaks down a barrier, chances are someone will follow their lead. 

Write things no one else dares to. Show the world what remains hidden. Opening the door for yourself leaves it ajar for everyone else, beckoning them to come join you inside. You could be unlocking someone’s potential that they never even knew existed.

It makes me happy

Writing is one of the only things that has stuck with me since childhood and that’s because of the immense joy it brings me. Having something, anything, that gives you passion, gives you drive, is worth holding on to. 

Whether it be my pen dancing along the lines of my leather-bound journal or my fingers jumping from one key to the next, the act of writing gives me a kind of rush that I can’t get from anything else. 

Sure, it can be stressful at times (like meeting the deadline for this article), but when I step back and look at the whole picture, I can’t help but feel proud of what I’ve created. 

Now, this is what writing means to me, but it can also be this for you too. If while reading this you thought, Hey, this sounds pretty cool! then it may be for you. It might seem intimidating at first and it isn’t guaranteed that you’ll love it, but it doesn’t hurt to try, especially considering the plausible rewards being so great.

So go dust off that blank notebook you’ve had on your shelf for who-knows-how-long, grab a pen, and let your heart and soul pour out through ink and your words be brought to life. 

Sariya Adnan

Toronto MU '24

Sariya Adnan is currently an English student at TMU. She's been writing her whole life and hopes to use words to create a positive impact on others and the world around her.
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.