Just because the days are shorter and the weather is getting colder doesn’t mean we should be sad or depressed.
Unfortunately, seasonal depression takes its toll on many people and can make the months of winter feel like a never-ending rollercoaster of emotions. I enjoy winter. Christmas is something my family looks forward to months ahead. What I don’t look forward to is the blue feeling that often comes with the season.
Something that strongly affects my mood is music. I love to create playlists that help me navigate through the different feelings I undergo.
I have playlists for when I’m in a sad mood and want to feel even more doleful (no matter how sadistic that sounds, it’s effective). I have a playlist with songs that motivate me through an intense workout. You name it––I probably have a playlist for it. The numerous playlists I make cater to all my moods, so why not make one to help me navigate back to feeling good during such challenging months?
When creating this playlist, all I could think about was music that would make me happy no matter what I am feeling. These songs do just that. Some tracks are more mellow and relaxing, whereas others will have you vigorously tapping your feet.
There are 43 songs on this playlist. It’s long for a reason; I want it to be more immersive for the listener. I prefer longer playlists so that I don’t have to keep switching songs and can skip them without immediately running out of music.
If this isn’t the playlist for you, that’s ok – everyone has a unique taste. I implore you to create your own and share it. It could be the best thing someone has heard, just what someone needs to hear or a chance for someone to explore new music.
I hope this playlist helps you throughout the gruelling months of seasonal depression.
Listen to the playlist on Apple Music.
- Sunny & 62 – Mac Ayres
- Gone – Alex Isley & Jack Dine
- Love Affair – UMI
- Wazzie Off – Danny Sanchez
- For a Minute – Joy Crookes, KarimThaPeasant
- MOVIN’ ON – India Shawn, Anderson .Paak
- Bitter Pill – Christian Kuria
- Give Back What U Stole from Me – Oscar Jerome
- The Upper East – Bane’s World & Dancody
- Moon Undah Water – Puma Blue
- Drowsy – Bane’s World
- quiero sentirme bien – Kali Uchis
- Man’s World – Joy Crookes
- Nothing Else – Mac Ayres
- Give A Little – Ego Ella May
- NEON PEACH – Snoh Aalegra, Tyler, The Creator
- OUTTA MY MIND – Monsune
- aguardiente y limon – Kali Uchis
- U Say – GoldLink, Jay Prince, Tyler, The Creator
- SWEET / I THOUGHT YOU WANTED TO DANCE – Tyler, The Creator
- Facetime -Ari Lennox
- Too Good – Christian Kuria
- Good & Plenty – Alex Isley, Jack Dine, Masego
- Take Care of You – Charlotte Day Wilson
- Pickled Ginger – Mac Ayres
- Clues Blues – Jordan Rakei
- What’s The Use? – Mac Miller
- The Rivington – Free Nationals
- Smile/Petty – Anderson .Paak, Sonyae Elise
- Spanish Song – GoldLink, WaveIQ
- Happy Days – Cory Henry
- Volveré – Danny Sanchez
- Roses – Mac Ayres, Braxton Cook, Jack Dine
- Vibin’ Out – FKJ
- Probably Never – Maxwell Owin, Xenia Mannasseh
- Casio – Jungle
- Feet Don’t Fail Me Now – Joy Crooks
- NIGHTWALKER – Ayrtn
- 100 Miles – Ajanee
- Anywhere – Anderson .Paak
- Every Time – Mac Ayres
- I’m a Stone – River Tiber
- Good Girl 2 – Jesse Gold