This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

The winter exam period is as bad as it gets. Along with the never-ending cold weather and exams, come due dates for assignments you’ve been procrastinating for weeks, new assignments falling out of the sky, and if you’re anything like me, you are an overall mess.

One thing that keeps me sane this time of year is the music I listen to. I shuffle between many different feelings during this time of year, and I have a song for every single one. Here’s a list of songs for every mood of exam season:

The turn up song 

“Stuck in a Dream” – Lil Mosey 

This is my favourite turn up song right now. Every time I hear this song, it hypes me up. Whether you’re walking to your exam room or need to motivate yourself in between study sessions, this song will do it for you.

The motivational song

“Legend” – Drake 

I use this song to remind myself that I can get through anything. Even if I feel like I’m carrying the world on my shoulders or the sky is falling on me, I will get through this. No matter what, I can handle myself. Whatever obstacles are in my way won’t stop me.  

The sad boy song

“Wherever You Are” – 5 Seconds of Summer

This song is for when you just need a good cry session. No matter what situation you’re in, this is the ultimate sad boy song. Although it’s based on relationships, it can still be applied to various situations; I know this from experience. I guarantee you will shed at least one tear.

The concentration song

“Self Care” – Mac Miller 

This is the song that keeps helps me come back down to Earth when I feel like I’m floating in problems. I’m a huge Mac Miller fan, and so whenever I need to centre myself, I listen to this song. It helps me get into the zone and put myself in a positive headspace.

The happy song

“Here Comes the Sun” – The Beatles

This is my happy song, and I can almost guarantee it will put you in a good mood too. It reminds me of my childhood, the summer, and happier times. When I feel absolutely terrible and need a pick me up, this is my go-to.

The FOMO song

“Shot for Me” – Drake 

This is a song for the Friday nights when your friends are all out having a good time, and you’re stuck at home studying. When FOMO is hitting you like a truck, and you would rather be anywhere but in your room studying, this Drake song is for you. 

Duaa Rizvi

Toronto MU '22

Duaa is a third year journalism student at Ryerson University. Being a lifelong athlete if Duaa isn't on the ice or the basketball court you can probably find her watching hockey. Her main motivation in the field of journalism is to show young girls that they can do anything the next person can do, no matter what the world tells them.
Sarah is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson University. As Ryerson's Campus Correspondent, Sarah is a self-proclaimed grammar nerd. In her spare time, Sarah is either buried in a book, trying to figure out how to be a functioning adult, or enjoying a glass of wine - hopefully all at once.