Solidarity, Sisterhood and Strength: Toronto Women’s March

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

By Sherina Harris

“This is what democracy looks like.”
“This is what feminism looks like.”
“This is what Toronto looks like.”

The theme of Toronto’s 2018 Women’s March was “defining our future.” (Photo by Sherina Harris

These were a few of the chants that echoed through Nathan Phillip Square and surrounding streets on Saturday as people gathered for the 2018 Women’s March Toronto.

The March saw its inaugural year last year, the day after Donald Trump was sworn in as president of the United States. This year, the theme of Toronto’s march was “defining our future.” Speakers emphasized the importance of recognizing the past work of the feminist movement and looking to an intersectional and diverse future.

“Here we are again, women, knocking at the doors of justice and equality. Once more, begging, insisting, demanding that our voices be heard and that we’re given the rights that we deserve,” said Zanana Akande, a former NDP legislator who is the first black woman to hold a Cabinet position in Canada.

Akande noted that after the initial women’s suffrage movement, many women thought that the work was done. But the battle for equality continued with the fight to get women into universities, professions and trades and then to gain equal pay and equal treatment in those professions.

“We’ve collected here to ensure that everyone knows that we will not take it anymore,” Akande said. “This time, we will leave no woman behind.”

A person carries a sign reading “No More Stolen Sisters” in solidarity with missing and murdered Indigenous women at the Toronto Women’s March on Jan. 20. (Photo by Sherina Harris

Prior to the march, posts on social media encouraged participants to wear red scarves to draw attention to missing and murdered Indigenous women. Reconciliation and recognition of the impact of colonization on Indigenous women were topics discussed by several speakers.

“I’m marching for the future that is lost; for Loretta Saunders, Tina Fontaine, and the thousands of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls, two-spirit and trans people. I walk for you,” Jessica Boldue, executive director of the 4Rs youth movement, said to cheers. “For the young people who are taking their lives in devastating numbers in Indigenous communities across Turtle Island, I walk for you. And I walk for the future that wants to emerge.”

The energy in the air was palpable as the speakers wrapped up and the over 15,000 participants started marching.

View more photos from the Women’s March in the gallery below: 

It was Grade 12 student Harshita Bhayana’s first march, and she said she is already looking forward to next year. “It’s really empowering. I feel really supported, and I didn’t know that so many people would show up,” she said.

“I’ve experienced a lot of sexual harassment from a very young age, like working and stuff, but I’m still in a position of privilege. And so I want to use my voice to help uplift those of others,” said Talia Vogt, a first-year history and anthropology student at the University of Toronto. “I’m a white woman … I’m gonna weaponize the privilege and turn it against the system that gave me that privilege.”

Taking place as the #MeToo movement grows, sexual assault, harassment and violence were also topics discussed at the march. Participant Maddy Swinkin carried a sign which, on one side, read “Trust her” with a drawing of a heart. “It’s been too long that you just write off what they (women) say, and we have a voice too. We should be heard, and I choose to trust when women speak up,” she said.  

As people returned to Nathan Phillips Square, a moment of silence was held for Andrew Kinsman and Selim Esen, two gay men who were murdered in Toronto’s Church-Wellesley village.

Toronto City Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam spoke last. “Moving forward, marching on, we will have to continue this work together. We will ensure that tomorrow and the future ahead is built on our values, our vision and our leadership,” she said.

“The future is feminist, and this tomorrow cannot come soon enough. This tomorrow must start today. We will march on.”

Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.