This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

I’ve watched a countless number of television shows over the years, ranging from intimately thrilling dramas to brightly-animated cartoons. I’ve met a multitude of characters, from those who have restored my faith in humanity to those who make me criticize the compulsion of the forbidden fruit. But never have I ever come across a show that feels like a remedy, that feels like family and simply feels like home. That is, until my freshman year of high school when I finally decided to endeavour the meagerly known sitcom; How I Met Your Mother, following a man’s journey in pursuit of true love. 

Today marks precisely seven years since the program bid their farewell, but How I Met Your Mother still reigns over my heart and continues to be my favourite show of all time. With the amalgamation of a cohesive cast, a myriad of storylines and beautiful life lessons, How I Met Your Mother exudes unparalleled creativity and brilliance. Allow my song of praises to commemorate this wonderful work of television gravitating into the pits of oblivion as a result of its criminal underestimation.

The most captivating element of How I Met Your Mother is the harmonious gang of friends who immediately draw you in. You have your hopeless romantic and simultaneous protagonist Ted Mosby, best friend and passionate lawyer Marshall Eriksen, playboy virtuoso Barney Stinson, nurturing kindergarten teacher Lily Aldrin and it-girl Robin Scherbatsky. While this group combines vastly different personalities, you’re still able to see a reflection of yourself in every single one of them. Whether you’re struggling with heartbreak or navigating your career, these characters completely embody these schemas and spectacularly represent those on the other end of the screen.

Prior to my sitcom fascination crystalized through gems such as How I Met Your Mother and The Office, I didn’t think much of them. I thought they were merely comical, short-lived spectacles you’d watch when you had some time to spare or needed a quick pick-me-up. But this program has proven to me that they thrive far beyond my naive understanding. Yeah, this show is undoubtedly hilarious, but it’s also sad. It’s riveting but disappointing. It’s romantic, but intense and a stark emotional rollercoaster. I thoroughly enjoy seeing the clique cracking up at MacLaren’s pub as Barney hits on yet another girl, but we also ride along to see him dealing with his daddy issues. We see Robin killing it on-air as a news anchor, but also follow her struggling with the misfortune of infertility. This show will definitely have you holding back your tears––whether it be out of joy or sorrow.

There’s nothing more upsetting than when a project so incredibly deserving of recognition and praise fails to receive either. Despite being eons superior to shows such as Friends and The Office (yes, I will die on this hill), it doesn’t gather nearly as much hype. The exceptionally clever content orchestrated by creative geniuses Carter Bays and Craig Thomas never ceases to amaze me. The storyline in and of itself is extremely unique and doesn’t mimic anything I’ve ever encountered before. The conception of future-Ted narrating his adulthood experiences and journey of finding true love in a tell-all tale to his children is too idiosyncratic to be duplicated. This plot coupled with the iconic running gags recurring throughout the nine seasons cultivates a magnificent legacy. From the slap bet to the doppelgangers, the inception of Robin Sparkles and the consequential blue french horn that prompts a beautiful full-circle moment in the finale, How I Met Your Mother is a coalescence of these marvellous quirks. Regardless of the abundant unappreciation surrounding this show, I’ve grown to appreciate this hidden treasure so much more. If I ever cross paths with someone who respects this nonpareil artistry as much as I do, I would instantly sense a connection and recognize their superior taste in television.

Although I’ve listed multiple reasons justifying my affinity with How I Met Your Mother, my strongest argument is considering the transcendence from on-screen to real-life content. I believe the greatest asset to this show is how it has broken the fourth wall so consistently and impressively, unlike any other entity. Everything in the program is so meticulously thought-out, it’s honestly surreal. The blog Barney’s always talking about? It’s real. And so are the submissions that actually align with the storyline and every minute plot of the show. Every website and book they mention? Also real. From tedmosbyisajerk.com to notafathersday.com and The Playbook to The Bro Code, the show elevates past your TV screen to tangible documentation. Pretty impressive, right? It doesn’t end there. Quite possibly the grandest and most ambitious venture of the entire series is the illustrious pop-sensation alter ego of Robin Scherbatsky: Robin Sparkles. Throughout the entirety of How I Met Your Mother, we’re met with the melodious tunes and boisterous music videos of Robin Sparkles, most notably “Let’s go to the Mall.” This whimsical creation was such a monumental success, I actually learned about this character before I did the show. She was featured on Just Dance 3 and was introduced to my credulous 10-year-old self as a real-life celebrity.

How I Met Your Mother had an absolutely fantastic run of nine years, accumulating millions of dedicated followers along the way. Fans were elated for the disclosure of the mystery woman coined “The Mother” and anxiously awaited answers to their decade-long queries. Yet by a serpentine twist of fate, the mother would wound up six-feet underground and our hopeless romantic would eventually end up with Robin, the subliminal love of his life. The series cascaded to disrepute following an uproarious commotion as “fans” denounced their loyalties and called it the worst television finale of all time. While this abandonment of allegiance was overwhelming, I, personally, appreciated the ending. This show has taught me a great deal about life and the finale was no exception. Sure, it wasn’t what any of us had expected, but that’s real. We learn that things don’t always go according to plan, we don’t always end up on a high note and we don’t always end up with “The Mother.” And that’s okay. That’s life.

I would do everything in my power to just go back and watch the show for the first time again, without any prior knowledge or preconceived notions. I would love to meet the characters again one by one and double over in laughter every time any of them make a lame joke. I would do anything to experience what I felt watching the infamously bitter-sweet closing sequence. 

Truth is, no matter how many reruns I have, nothing will ever beat my introduction to How I Met Your Mother. It’s my ultimate comfort-show that I can watch regardless of whatever mood that I’m in. It’s helped me navigate through life and learn that nothing in life is guaranteed. Nothing is perfect. Nothing is forever. So go ask out that girl you like. Hell, even pull a Mosby and tell her you love her on the first date. If it ended up working for Ted and Robin, might as well give it a shot. 

Happy anniversary to the greatest show of all time: How I Met Your Mother

September 19, 2005 – March 31, 2014

Aishah Ashraf is a fourth-year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University whose hopes to pursue a career as a talk-show host are fuelled by her passion to remedy the absence of female Muslim representation in the entertainment industry. When she isn’t writing, you can find her rambling on about pop culture, watching football, or binge-watching shows on Netflix like the television fanatic she is. 
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.