Bgb Editor\'S Letter Hero Image
Bgb Editor\'S Letter Hero Image
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

I Got a Lash Lift and Tint – Here’s How it Went

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

New beauty trends are born every day, and one of the most popular procedures as of late has been eyelash enhancements. From false eyelashes to lash lifts and eyelash extensions, these procedures have been vastly popularized by social media in the last couple of years. 

According to Deborah Mitchell, founder of London Lash & Brow, eyelash lifts have come into the online spotlight as celebrities and influencers are sharing their before and after photos on social media. The demand for lash lifts is rising, as people want lower maintenance procedures that cost less and last longer than the traditional lash extension. I personally decided to get a lash lift because I wanted a procedure done on my eyelashes, but because lash extensions have damaged my natural lashes in the past, I thought I might try out a lash lift. 

A lash lift is essentially a procedure that perms your eyelashes to curl upward, making them look fuller and longer. A lash tint usually goes hand in hand with the lift, acting as a semi-permanent mascara used to further make your eyes pop. The procedure can cost anywhere between $50 to $100 and lasts between six to eight weeks.

The procedure begins with placing silicon pads on your eyelids before gluing your eyelashes to the pad. Then the perming solution is applied to the roots of your eyelashes. Depending on the strength of your eyelashes, the solution is left on for anywhere between four to eight minutes. The solution breaks down the proteins in your lashes, allowing them to be molded into a new shape. After the solution is removed, a different formula is placed on the lashes to harden and set them. 

Once the lashes have been permed, the tint is applied. I was given the choice of pure black tint or a blue-black tint. I went with the blue-black tint because it was supposed to work with reflections and light to make your eyes look more open. After my lashes were tinted, my technician applied organic castor oil to rehydrate them. 

The process was relatively relaxing. There was no pain involved and I fell asleep halfway through the process. The lift is not as dramatic as lash extensions but it does the job. It is cheaper and has much lower maintenance. The only after-care instructions I was given were not to use any makeup or get my lashes wet for at least 48 hours after the procedure. 

Before procedure:

Original image Duaa lash lift
Duaa Rizvi
After procedure:

Original image Duaa lash lift
Duaa Rizvi

Original image Duaa lash lift
Duaa Rizvi

I’ve never been complimented more on my eyes, and I’ve managed to convince everyone that I have naturally long, curly lashes. Unlike lash extensions which have to be refilled every month or so, the lash lift lasts six to eight weeks and doesn’t need any maintenance. I’m super happy with the results of the lash lift and will definitely be getting another one in the future!

Duaa Rizvi

Toronto MU '22

Duaa is a third year journalism student at Ryerson University. Being a lifelong athlete if Duaa isn't on the ice or the basketball court you can probably find her watching hockey. Her main motivation in the field of journalism is to show young girls that they can do anything the next person can do, no matter what the world tells them.
Sarah is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson University. As Ryerson's Campus Correspondent, Sarah is a self-proclaimed grammar nerd. In her spare time, Sarah is either buried in a book, trying to figure out how to be a functioning adult, or enjoying a glass of wine - hopefully all at once.