This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

By: Caroline Rodway

As the spooky season ends and the holiday season comes up quickly, it seems like everyone I talk to has one thing on their brain – parties. And look, I love hallo-weekend as much as the next girl, but in all honesty, I don’t like parties at all. Do I love dressing up? Yes. Do I love seeing my friends? Yes. Do I love staying up late, being shoulder-to-shoulder with people I don’t know? Not really, no.

I know not all parties are like that, but being introverted means every invitation to a social gathering invites the possibility of putting myself in a situation where I can’t escape and recharge my batteries if I need to. 

Something to note here is that not all introverts are the same, and not all activities mean the same thing for all of us. The way I explain it is that I have a certain level of social interactions which I can handle every day. On days where I’m stressed, or tired, or just having a bad day, that level gets lower. But there are other days where my ability to socially participate is exceptionally high. What makes saying yes to invitations so tricky is that I don’t know where my level is going to be at any given day. It makes me feel even worse if I need to cancel the day of, so usually, I just end up saying no right away.

Another thing to note here is that not all activities require as much of my social energy. It is more likely that I will say yes to a small gathering at a friend’s house with wine and pizza than it is that I will say yes to going out to the club with people from work and their friends. It’s all about balance. 

So when the time comes to make a decision about Halloween, Christmas, homecoming or any other occasion – there are a few things to take into consideration. This applies to those who identify as introverts, and those at the hosting end of the occasion.

The first determining factor of whether I will hit up a party is: who else is going? As much as I am capable of going out on my own, I am not always comfortable conversing with strangers and making friends as I go. Therefore, it’s comforting knowing that someone I know (or even better someone I’m friends with) will also be there in case I need a ‘social crutch.’ It’s important to note that this friend won’t abandon me halfway through the evening. When I get invited to things that my close friends are also invited to, it is almost certain that I will also attend since I know I’ll be able to hang with them.

I also always think about what the vibe of the party is going to be. I much prefer the smaller house party atmosphere to the huge frat party “I don’t even know whose basement this is” type rager. It basically comes down to if I will be able to find a quieter place during the event or not. It is not uncommon for me to hide out in the washroom for a couple of minutes simply to escape all the noise. 

When it comes to going out, I definitely prefer being the wallflower than the social butterfly. So it’s nice knowing if I’m going to be attending something that is lowkey, where I can float through conversations as I please, or if I have to expect people bouncing off the walls and taking body shots left and right.

Overall, the whole ‘going out every weekend’ college student aesthetic just isn’t for me. I have had a lot of trouble accepting that about myself. But keeping the above in mind, I have found my ways to make it out to some parties, while still skipping the ones I know just isn’t for me. 

If any of this resonates with you, please reach out! We should start an introvert’s holiday retreat or something.

Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.
Sarah is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson University. As Ryerson's Campus Correspondent, Sarah is a self-proclaimed grammar nerd. In her spare time, Sarah is either buried in a book, trying to figure out how to be a functioning adult, or enjoying a glass of wine - hopefully all at once.