This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

While Halloween has been famed to be the scariest time of year, the threat of catching COVID-19 has managed to top it. This is the year to stay home with a bowl of candy and an array of Halloween movies. Do yourself a favour and watch these bold women fight their frights or shake their opponents to their core. These badass gals will definitely get you into the spooky spirit and make you feel like you can defeat any monster that may be lurking in the shadows. 

Heathers (1988)

Winona Ryder is practically the queen of Halloween with classics like Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands, and the cult classic Heathers doesn’t disappoint. Between an evil boyfriend and a group of mean girls, the battle to save herself and her peers begins.

Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)

A wholesome story of a young witch, her black cat and her broomstick taking on the world. This super sweet coming-of-age narrative will pair well with your Halloween candy. 

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992)

Giving off Clueless meets Charlie’s Angels vibes, when teenage Buffy finds out she’s the chosen one to defeat a group of vampires, her cheerleading skills come in handy when it comes to fighting these bloodsuckers.

Jennifer’s Body (2009)

“Hell is a teenage girl” hits the nail on the head for this cult classic. Megan Fox eats her portrayal of the ungodly Jennifer Check alive (and then some).

Jane Eyre (2011)

If you’re more into period pieces, this is absolutely the one for you. The dreary life of Jane, a mysterious man and a spooky attic make for the perfect gothic horror piece. Curl up with this classic tale and a blanket by the fire…just don’t forget to put it out – you’ll see why.

A Simple Favor (2018)

Friends Stephanie and Emily couldn’t be more different on the surface but digging into their dark pasts shows otherwise – think Gone Girl but much more funny and sexy. Filled with twists, turns and Blake Lively rocking a pantsuit, nothing is more intimidating than this movie.

Us (2019)

This chilling tale tells the story of a family terrorized by their wicked doppelgängers. Lupita Nyong’o’s dual performance as the fiercely protective mother Adelaide Wilson and the absolutely haunting Red will make you afraid to walk past the mirror.

Midsommar (2019)

Is there anything better than watching a woman get revenge on her toxic boyfriend? Don’t be fooled by the everlasting daylight in this film – you’ll be scared to sleep with the light on.

Maria Couto

Toronto MU '22

English major | Skin care enthusiast | Carrie Bradshaw wannabe
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.