This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Hijab, also commonly known as a headscarf, is a garment worn by Muslim women worldwide as a representation of their religion. It’s a big part of my life and a way I choose to identify with my faith. I often get questions about it, but I know some people feel hesitant to ask if they’re curious. I decided to compile just a few of those questions in hopes to educate and inform people who may not know much about it! Here are the answers to some of the most common questions I get about hijab: 

What’s the purpose of wearing it? Are you going to wear it forever? 

Wearing hijab is a religious symbol and it demonstrates obedience to God. It is also attached to modesty and a woman’s personal relationship with her faith. Each woman has their own reasoning and intention behind wearing it. For me, I personally wear it because it resonates with me and I find beauty in it. And yes, I intend on wearing it forever! 

Do you get hot in it?

So in the summer, it naturally gets a bit warm but you get used to it. There’s also many hijabs that are made out of breathable and thin materials, such as cotton, that I opt to wear in the hotter summer months. Honestly, it becomes a normal part of your everyday life so it doesn’t get overwhelmingly hot or anything! 

Who can see your hair? What happens if someone sees your hair by accident?

For Muslims who wear hijab, all women, their fathers, brothers, uncles, grandfathers, nephews, husbands, sons and young children can see their hair. If someone sees my hair by accident, nothing happens! If anything, it’ll be a little awkward but you just kind of move past it. That hasn’t happened in years for me personally! 

Do you sleep or shower with it on? 

No! We don’t wear our hijabs all the time and at home, they’re usually off anyway. Plus, I feel like that would be really uncomfortable. 

How do you style your hair for the day under your hijab?

Most women tie their hair in a low ponytail or bun to keep it neat and secure underneath their hijab. Many women also choose to wear a bandana style underscarf to make sure their hijab doesn’t slip off during the day. 

Why do some Muslim women wear it and others don’t?

All women have a choice of what they want to wear and the hijab is no exception. You can still be Muslim without wearing hijab. The main thing is that it should be the women’s decision completely and no one should force her to wear it. 

Are you forced to wear it? Do you feel oppressed by it? 

Absolutely not. It’s a choice I made on my own and with the support of my family! I’m also lucky to have had such a positive experience with it throughout my life. However, I acknowledge that there are some girls who are forced to wear it and that’s not okay at all. 

Can you cut/dye/straighten/curl/style your hair? 

Yes to all of these! There are even some salons in the GTA that have separate rooms to cater to women who wear hijabs, so they can get their hair done privately by a female hairdresser. This is great because I wouldn’t trust myself to cut my own hair, to be quite honest. 

Asmaa Toor

Toronto MU '21

Asmaa is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson. You can usually find her spending time with her friends or trying out new glam makeup looks. She loves all things journalism and writes about just anything and everything, from beauty to business to current affairs. You can catch her on Instagram @asmaatoor.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.