This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

If you are a student currently attending your classes and working on your assignments from home, you are probably experiencing–or have experienced at some point in the last months–a decline or complete absence of motivation. 

At least, that is the case for myself and most students I’ve interacted with in the course of the last year.

To help you stay motivated or regain your motivation–a crucial necessity for the end of the semester–here are a few tips that were suggested during a workshop on motivation hosted by the Ryerson faculty of community services last week: 

Remember your purpose

When you’re feeling particularly worn out and unable to complete your work, it might help to take a step back from the task at hand and take a look at the big picture. Why are you doing this? What is your end goal? Who are you striving to become? 

On the one hand, perspective might help you find the motivation to complete that small stepping stone toward the achievement of your dream. On the other, it could make you realize that the task is in no way contributing to your end goal and thus relieve you of unnecessary stress. 

Make a to-do list

Whether you make a list on paper, on your phone or your laptop, having your tasks laid out might help you organize your thoughts and give you the kick start you need to accomplish them. In turn, scratching things out once you’ve completed them might make you feel satisfied and give you the necessary drive to keep going through your list.

Divide your work

When an assignment has a lot of requirements, it can sometimes entirely shut off your will to just get started. In these situations, it might help to divide the project into smaller tasks and complete it bits by bits over several days.

The Pomodoro Technique

This technique helps you estimate how much time and effort your assignments will take and learn how to work uninterruptedly over a certain timespan by encouraging you to time yourself and work on 25-minute intervals. This technique is designed to maximize your efficiency and keep you motivated.

Establish a reward system

A personalized reward system might help you stay motivated. To do so, first set yourself a goal based on time or on how much of a task you want to accomplish. Then pick a reward that you know will push you to be productive. It could simply be a break or a Netflix episode, it could be a walk outside or a snack, buying yourself a little something or even seeing a friend. A reward system based on your preferences could be the answer to your lack of motivation.

Use productivity apps

Numerous apps exist to help you stay productive, such as Flora. This app helps you stay focused through an interesting incentive: growing virtual trees. You must first select a focus duration and once you start the timer, the tree–then a seed–begins to grow. If you leave the app to go on distracting ones, the tree will die. But if you stay focused and finish the session, your virtual tree will successfully attain full maturity. If you need to be kept accountable for the time you waste on your phone, or if your assignments alone are not enough to motivate you, Flora was made for you!

Have a work session with friends

When you’ve tried every solo trick in the book and you still can’t find the necessary drive to complete your assignments, it might help to plan a work session with some friends. Whether it’s in person or virtually, someone else’s studious energy might influence you to be more productive.

Take care of yourself

Last but not least, you must, must, must take good care of your mind and body. You cannot expect yourself to be able to get things done if your body lacks energy. Make sure you get enough hours of sleep, that you eat enough nutritious foods, that you take some time off of your screens to move your body and that you go outside. Remember to make time to do things for yourself, ones that bring you joy, that’s important and vital too. 

I'm a third-year journalism student at Ryerson University in Toronto. I grew up in a French-Canadian home in Ottawa, where I first started to develop my voice and style in the form of poems. To this day, I have a soft spot for rhythm and rhymes. Whenever I’m not glued to my laptop, I like to be active; play tennis, workout or go on long walks.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.