This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Relationships can be full of romance and fun, but they can’t always last. Sometimes, it takes us a few times to find “the one.” These tips can help you get over a breakup in no time!

Surround yourself with friends

Your friends are there for you through thick and thin. They’ll always be more than happy to comfort you if you’re feeling down. What’s important to remember here is that comforting doesn’t have to mean sobbing in sweatpants. Have a girls’ night in with facemasks and Netflix, or go out to get your favorite comfort food! Surrounding yourself with positive people will help boost your mood. 

Let yourself feel sad 

Personally, I struggle with this one. I always feel like I have to be tough and strong, and while I am both of those things, I forget that our emotions demand to be felt. You won’t feel better until you acknowledge them. Let out your tears and listen to all the Taylor Swift songs you can!

Focus on yourself

Know that you are better off without them. They were just holding you back. Now you have the chance to give yourself all the attention you need. You can focus on bettering yourself and becoming even more beautiful than you already are!

Pick up new hobbies 

Now that you have more free time, you can start all the activities you were putting off! You can do things you never thought you would. Maybe you want to paint or read. You can binge that Netflix show you’ve been eyeing. The sky’s the limit!

Treat yourself 

Your relationship with yourself is the only one that is guaranteed to last forever. This means that you must listen to your own needs and wants. Let yourself eat all the comfort food you want. Take a nice bath. Buy yourself the shirt you’ve been wanting. Do all the things that are considered pampering yourself. You deserve it. 

Breakups can be tough, and no amount of tips can change that. However, these tips can make it just a bit easier!

Annabelle Short

Illinois State '22

Hi! My name is Annabelle Short, and I am a 20 year old public relations student at Illinois State! I love being creative in my daily life. Some of my hobbies include painting, singing, reading, and journaling! I am passionate about my writing, and I am so excited to share that with you all!