This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RW chapter.

I have always been someone who struggles with their weight, whether it be how I see myself, the gut feeling of slight terror going into the fitting room, etc. Now I am not saying this helps how I see my body completely, however, if someone asked me to do this a year ago I would laugh and still think a number controls if I’m ‘skinny’ enough. Something I have been able to learn over the years, finally, is that there is no reason to categorize yourself as a number, or a letter in that matter. There have been countless experiments and deep dives into the world of fashion, proving that sizes fluctuate from brand to brand, just like they do from person to person. Think about it. Have you ever seen someone with the EXACT same body as you? If I confidently answered ‘yes’ to this question I would be lying. Every single body is different, so why should we measure against each other the same way?

The best thing that has happened to me in the past months is trying my best to judge by my eyes. If it looks like it would fit, try her on. Bring multiple sizes, maybe you’ll like it more form fitting, or for a more casual baggy look. I had this pair of jeans for probably 2 years. Skinny jeans, black, rips on the knees, a staple really for Sophomore and Junior year. Well now I am a senior, and you know what, they don’t fit. They used to suck me in all the right places, make me feel taller, just made me feel good. When I tried them on this year and they didn’t fit like I remembered, I cried. I was no longer that size, I felt like I let myself down. I didn’t want to come to terms I needed to size up. 

Then I sat back. Okay, I have to look for a different size, maybe a different style. Two years went by, and even I can say I can’t think of many things that I wear or even have interest in after two years. So why waste my time on thinking so negatively about something that is bound to happen? I am not saying that this mindset is the end all be all. There is so much we all have in our minds on what to wear, how to wear it, can I even rock it? But in the end, you know what is on you, no one else does. What difference does it make if something’s a size up, but you still look amazing? It’s not about the pieces people wear, it comes down to the person wearing those pieces. Everyone starts somewhere when it comes to their journey of self love and comfort in their own skin. You are beautiful, you are strong, and you deserve to be unapologetically You. 

Hello my name is Alaina Basia Bibbo and I go by Basia! I am a Senior at RW studying Marketing and Minoring in Graphic Design. I love makeup, fashion (especially statement pieces) and trying new things!
Hi, I'm Jessie, the Campus Coordinator and Founder of Her Campus at Roger Williams University! I am a senior majoring in Communication and Media Studies and minoring in Marketing and Graphic Design. When not in school, I love to work out, shop, listen to music and spend time with my friends!