Read, Listen, Learn: How to Keep Your Activism Momentum Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RW chapter.

This week, Derek Chauvin was found guilty for the murder of George Floyd. As I’m sure you’ve read, this is just one step in the process towards racial justice. With all the resources out there, there’s plenty of meaningful ways to continue educating yourself and showing your support for these important social movements. 

1. Read

Getting back into reading actual books is one silver lining of the last year for me. There’s plenty of books available on topics such as racial identity, criminal justice reform, and other important subjects. Try to look for books by Black authors- places like Barnes and Noble and other bookstores usually have a curated section of BIPOC authors.

2. Listen

With the number of podcasts out there, you’re bound to find one that is equally entertaining and informative. A personal favorite of mine is Pod Save the People, which combines politics and social discourse with pop culture news and commentary. 

3. Learn

If you can fit it in your course schedule, look for an elective in sociology, legal studies, or another social science. These classes will almost certainly cover issues that are in the news, and will expose you to a new way of thinking about what’s happening. If you don’t have space for electives, Netflix has plenty of movies like 13th, I Am Not Your Negro, and shows like When They See Us that are accessible and informative.

A List of Recommended Media

I'm a Massachusetts native studying political science at Roger Williams University. Interests include dance, travel, fitness, fashion, and social justice activism. Die hard Boston sports fan and coffee enthusiast. she/her/hers
Hi, I'm Jessie, the Campus Coordinator and Founder of Her Campus at Roger Williams University! I am a senior majoring in Communication and Media Studies and minoring in Marketing and Graphic Design. When not in school, I love to work out, shop, listen to music and spend time with my friends!