This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RW chapter.

Ever since we were early teens social media has been a huge part of our daily lives. Every day, we wake up and check Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, VSCO and now TikTok. Doing this makes us feel as if we are connected and know what others are up to at all times. However, looking at social media right when we wake up allows other people’s opinions fog up our brain and can impact how we go about our day. Let’s talk about a few reasons social media platforms are affecting us, both positively and negatively. 

Pros:

1. Communication

There are so many different ways for us to communicate with one another, but social media is extremely effective in this case. We are able to talk to family members and friends from all around the world to keep up to date with each other. It also allows us to interact virtually from a professional point of view. People are able to share ideas and information that will spread at a faster rate to inform more individuals than in person communication.  

2. Recognition

As a marketing student I have learned so much about social media and all the positive effects it can have when used as a marketing channel. Not only is it cost effective when promoting, but there are also so many different audiences you can reach out to with the simple click of a button.  The amazing thing about these platforms is that once people see your post and share it, a chain reaction is started and millions of others will get the chance to see what you have created. 

3. Personal Growth  

Social media is a crazy thing that can help us out in many different ways, especially for those who feel as if they can’t express their true self in person. All of these platforms are designed to show you content that is similar to yours as well as your interests. The individuals we come across are sometimes easier to talk to or connect with on a deeper level. Not only do we find comfort in connecting with these like-minded communities, but they also help us stay motivated with all the constant support in self-improvement.  

Cons:

1. It Is Addicting 

Even though it may seem relaxing to take a break and see what is happening on social media, it is extremely addictive. Right when you open up your favorite platform, the dopamine signals your brain and the neurotransmitters are fired causing an increase. We spend so much time obsessing over how our profile looks and what others will think about it. This is causing us to neglect face to face interactions as well as daily responsibilities, overall negatively impacting our health and wellbeing.  

2. Major FOMO

The number one problem with social media is that people share posts that make it seem like they are having the best time of their life. Don’t even lie about how much time you spend editing your photos and making sure your post looks perfect… we have all done this. The problem with this is that we know it is not super realistic for someone to be having this much fun and being this happy 24/7. However, seeing it over and over again on social media convinces us that we are missing out. By constantly having the fear of missing out, you are triggering insecurities you have never had before and negatively impacting your health.

3. Threats To Your Privacy

We have all been told many times by our parents or guardians that you need to be careful about what personal information you are sharing on social media. There are many hateful people in this world who will always have something negative to say and we can’t always control that. When something is posted online by you or your friends who have tagged you, there is always a risk that your personal information can be uncovered. No matter how careful you are with what you post, there is always the risk of hackers finding out personal information by stealing data.  

I hope all of these pros and cons help you better understand social media. Everything in our life needs to be done in moderation especially when it comes to these platforms. So, remember to always be careful what you post and don’t let others affect the way you go about daily life.

My name is Maegan Varley and I am a senior at RWU majoring in marketing and minor in psychology. I am from Berlin, CT and enjoy cooking in my free time as well as spending time with family and friends.
Hi, I'm Jessie, the Campus Coordinator and Founder of Her Campus at Roger Williams University! I am a senior majoring in Communication and Media Studies and minoring in Marketing and Graphic Design. When not in school, I love to work out, shop, listen to music and spend time with my friends!