oscar 3679610 1920?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
oscar 3679610 1920?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RW chapter.

The 93rd Academy Awards, also known as the Oscars, aired on Sunday night. Although they were quite different than normal, the ceremony was able to have a live, in-person audience. Preparation for the show was treated like a movie production, meaning all nominees, their guests, presenters and others involved were vaccinated, tested, and practiced social distancing. This definitely made for a sense of normalcy while watching! There was no host, and the ceremony did not take place in the glamorous Dolby Theatre. However, it was still great to acknowledge all of the great movies we watched over this past difficult year, as well as see the amazing looks on the red carpet from A-list celebs. 

It was refreshing to see a diverse group of nominees and winners, however I was disappointed that the late Chadwick Boseman did not win the award for best actor. Although I have not seen most of the nominated films yet, my favorites so far have been Promising Young Woman, and Soul. My personal favorite part of the show was Questlove and Lil Rel Howery had stars guess if a song didn’t win, won, or was nominated for an Oscar. This unscripted part somehow hilariously led to Glen Close dancing in her gown. The show had some great potential viral moments, like Daniel Kaluuya thanking his parents for having sex. Overall, this year’s Oscars was a great way to end this unusual awards season!

Here are some of the big winners of the night:

Best Picture: Nomadland

Actress in a Leading Role: Frances McDormand, Nomadland

Actor in a Leading Role: Anthony Hopkins, The Father

Director: Chloé Zhao, Nomadland 

Original Screenplay: Emerald Fennell, Promising Young Woman

Adapted Screenplay: Christopher Hampton and Florian Zeller, The Father 

International Feature Film: Another Round, Denmark

Actress in a Supporting Role: Youn Yuh-jung, Minari

Actor in a Supporting Role: Daniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah 

Animated Film: Soul 

Documentary Film: My Octopus Teacher

Original Score: Soul 

Original Song: “Fight For You” by H.E.R., Judas and the Black Messiah  

RWU 2021 Comm & Media Studies you could say I like pop culture
Hi, I'm Jessie, the Campus Coordinator and Founder of Her Campus at Roger Williams University! I am a senior majoring in Communication and Media Studies and minoring in Marketing and Graphic Design. When not in school, I love to work out, shop, listen to music and spend time with my friends!