If You Loved Percy Jackson, Read These 3 Books

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RW chapter.

By Grace Amato

I grew up being obsessed with Percy Jackson. I mean, read every book multiple times and went to class dressed as a Greek God obsessed. Those books just unleashed a level of fantasy I had never had before. Now in college, rereading the Percy Jackson series could be fun, but it just wouldn’t be as entertaining. I have since been on the hunt for the perfect adult dupes for Percy Jackson and I finally did it – I found the perfect books.

1. A Thousand Ships by Natalie Haynes

The Trojan War is one of the most well known battles. What isn’t known, is what happened to the women. What did the women think and feel? What was it like for them? Haynes retells the story of the falling of Troy through the eyes of women. The narrators range from a muse to a peasant to royalty. The story follows them from the morning of the city burning to their final moments, shifting narrators each chapter while staying chronological. This book is a total binge read and is perfect for a cold winter day.

1. The Mercies by Kiran Millwood Hargrave

This book is based on real events of a Nordic village that lost all of its men in a storm. The men went out to fish when a sudden storm happened, killing everyone on the ship. The women, who typically just kept the house and raised the children, were forced to adapt by picking up the men’s work. What they didn’t anticipate was for the King to send them a new ruler – someone who hunted witches. The twists and turns of this realistic fiction book will leave you reeling from the ending and begging for more.

1. Lore by Alexandra Bracken

Another retelling of Greek mythology, however this takes place in a more modern time. This book touches on real problems as well as the mythological, making it not for the faint of heart. A level of romance, friendship, and mystery, Bracken will keep you hanging onto each word she writes.

I am a senior at RWU studying Criminal Justice with a double minor in Psychology and Public and Professional Writing. Writing has always been a passion of mine and I hope to utilize it to make a positive difference in the Criminal Justice world.