This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RW chapter.

Our current society is flawed. The world has been plagued by the desire to be “perfect” because everywhere we go we see advertisements, billboards, social media posts and images of “perfect” looking people. The beauty standards our society holds us to are absurd, and most of the time unattainable. We see highlight reels of peoples days on social media and wish we could be more like them. Well I think this is bullshit. You should try to be more authentically you.

During my freshman year of college I was often told by my roommates and friends that they admired my confidence. Some told me they wished they were more like me in the sense that I do not care what people think and I live authentically as myself. My friend told me at the end of the year I helped her gain self love and confidence, and she would not be the person she is today without me. That touched my heart, but I told her how that confidence and love was in her all along, she just had to allow herself to love who she is and change her perspective. It is extremely important to prioritize living your life to the fullest. 

So, what are some ways that you can grow your confidence? 

Start by looking in the mirror and telling yourself 10 things you like about yourself, five physical qualities and five internal qualities. It may be surprising how many things you love about yourself that you don’t normally think about. It is easier said than done to say, “just start loving yourself and stop caring what people think!” But honestly, the mindset I adapted sometime in between leaving highschool and entering college was: People are going to hate on you no matter what you do. There will always be people who do not want you to succeed and want to put you down. So, why not do what you love, follow your dreams and live authentically and happily knowing that you are one of a kind and amazing? You literally have nothing to lose by living the way you want to!

This mindset is so important. You can waste your life by not being happy or loving yourself but you are most likely going to wake up one day and realize that you wasted so much time on negativity. Do not put off discovering how truly amazing and beautiful you are! On days where I don’t feel my best, I try my hardest to remind myself how blessed I am to be living this life and how I have so many strengths, talents and I have a healthy body that gets me through each day. Do not take any of that for granted! 

Lastly, a great tip when it comes to growing your confidence, is to make sure you do not tear others down. Lifting up those around you is crucial to living a happier, more loving and confident life! Compliment others more, spread positivity and love. Next time you catch yourself about to make a negative comment about yourself or someone else, stop yourself! It is so important for girls to lift eachother up and help each other to see their worth. Remember you are you and that’s the best thing about you! Do what you love, be who you want to be and love yourself, cause you’re really cool.

My name is Kelly McTigue and I am a senior at Roger Williams University. I am my schools events director for our Her Campus chapter. In my free time I am a singer/songwriter:) Check me out on Apple Music/Spotify https://open.spotify.com/artist/0MHoUPbpNHFdtWYlFC8f31?si=96GImrziSO6PUWm5-Xn6RA https://www.instagram.com/kellymctiguee/?hl=en https://www.tiktok.com/@kellymctiguee?
Hi, I'm Jessie, the Campus Coordinator and Founder of Her Campus at Roger Williams University! I am a senior majoring in Communication and Media Studies and minoring in Marketing and Graphic Design. When not in school, I love to work out, shop, listen to music and spend time with my friends!